Teaching Nursing Students Writing

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kapvijay

Teaching Nursing Students Writing

Post by kapvijay » Tue May 21, 2013 6:03 am

Hello , I'm going to teach nursing students (around 120 students) writing for 10 days. I've gone through some books, articles and theses. They all dealt with maximum 30 students. I want to know the best method of teaching writing for the (mass) students.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 am

I think you could probably do all the exercises that you have read about but just not do the marking. It would be impossible to read everything that 120 students wrote more than once I would imagine.

I would put them in groups of 4 or 5 and get them to exchange their writing, comment in writing on each others writing as they pass it around the group, have them make corrections on each others work, have them read it aloud to each other in pairs and see if they can pick out their own errors, have each group write individually on one topic and then try to make a group final document that you then see. They will correct many of their errors on the way to making a final document and then you only have 30 papers to mark if you use groups of 4 or 24 papers to mark if you use groups of 5.
You could put the final group papers up on wall as posters for the groups to circulate and read or if you can do it on your computer or some other machine that gets it up on the wall and have the whole class comment on improvements that could be made. It doesn't have to have names on it unless you have to give a mark.

As for topics to write on, I would choose a problem they will encounter when they are nursing - how to make sure you give the proper drug or the proper amount, how to handle difficult patients, how to handle shift work, how to deal with difficult doctors, or difficult supervisors, how to handle work place romance, and so on.

I see this was posted in May so perhaps you will tell us what you did?

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 am

Hi Sally, Thank you for your suggestion. I firstly found their present situation need and learning style preference (checklist of J.Reid, Personal Communication). The results for the both are composing essay for their exams and kinesthetic style respectively. Then I used the materials and exercises accordingly.