Unity Through Language - Volunteering in London

<b>Forum for teachers working with refugees </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MATTgoesTEFLcrazy

Unity Through Language - Volunteering in London

Post by MATTgoesTEFLcrazy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:24 am

We have created a project which will be providing much needed English lessons for refugees and Asylum seekers in London as well as providing valuable teaching experience for newly qualified EFL teachers and for teachers with experience who wish to volunteer for a good cause.

I would love to hear from anybody who would be interested in volunteering their services with us for a couple of hours a week. Ideally we are looking for CELTA qualified teachers (or equivalent), or teachers with a minimum of 12 months experience, and candidates must be willing to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 3 months. However if do not meet the requirements but still feel that you could make a valuable contribution then please get in touch for a chat.

Our first venture is with an organisation called 'Praxis' whose premises are located at Bethnal Green in Tower Hamlets borough. They provide support and Advice for Asylum seekers and Refugees and they have suitable classrooms for us to conduct our lessons.

The lessons will probably take place for 2 hours on a saturday afternoon, although there may be some flexibility with the times.

If you are interested or you would like to find out more about us, please get in touch with me at the following email and telephone contacts: -

telephone
020 7545 8286
07977 566765

email
[email protected]
[email protected]

I am also interested in speaking with anyone that has had previous experience of working with Refugees that may be able to contribute with advice regarding appropriate teaching techniques and suggestions about an appropriate syllabus to follow,

I look forward to hearing from you,

Matthew

Tara B

Post by Tara B » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:08 pm

There's a good discussion of this on www.everythingesl.com. Practical advice and materials. Good luck.