Teaching Liberian refugees

<b>Forum for teachers working with refugees </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Gingercita

Teaching Liberian refugees

Post by Gingercita » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi, all.

I'm wondering if somebody out there has any experience teaching in Liberia or teaching Liberian refugees.

I'm finishing a book manuscript for University of Michigan Press called "Understanding Your Refugee and Immigrant Students," and include in the book a chapter on Liberia. The book is designed primarily for people in the field of education, and is meant as a resource on the schooling environments and experiences of children immigrating or fleeing from various countries to the U.S.

I am now trying to plug some holes. Do you know of anyone who might be able to provide some needed information? If so, please be so kind as to contact me via Dave's ESL Cafe.

I'm very grateful for whatever help you may be able to provide. Thanks much!

Gingercita

azuolan

Post by azuolan » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:47 pm

I have been teaching 2 Liberian refugees here in NJ for about 1.5 years. One is 15 and the other is 18. Both have had very liimited schooling in Liberia. They are reading on a 2/3 grade level and are making slow, but steady progress. They are both wonderful students - very respectful. However it has been a challenge to teach them. They are very shy and quiet and are not the 'typical' ESL student since they speak English. There need to be more books on teaching refugees who speak English.

There is a community, near Washington, DC , that has a large group of Liberians. The public school teachers there seem to have more experience working with Liberians. I think it is somewhere near Virginia, but I can't remember. They have a lot of information on working with Liberians. Good Luck-