Page 1 of 1

Is TEFL the best route for teaching refugees in the US?

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:20 am
by EngCatalyst

I was wondering if a TEFL certificate was the best route for someone who is looking to teach exclusively in the US to adult learners. It seems like the program is really geared for people wanting to go overseas but I was hoping that I would have substantial oppurtunities in the US with this certificate. Can anybody lend a helping hand?

TEFL Certificate

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:33 am
by eslweb
There are certainly a lot of language learners in the US and a TEFL certificate from a reputable school would help you in teaching them, but I would check carefully because not all certificates are recognized in the US and I am told by friends that a Masters is a requirement for teaching in College over there.
I hope this helps.


Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:13 pm
by Lorikeet
You need a Masters to teach in Community Colleges in California, including noncredit ESL for adult learners.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 am
by JRanieri
I teach refugees in the US. I have a Bachelor's in Spanish and a Certificate in TESOL. No Master's. I was well qualified for this position too. But I do not work for a college or university. Instead, I work in a collaborating effort with the board of education and a charity. Great job though!