TPR and secondary school learners

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Annaja

TPR and secondary school learners

Post by Annaja » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:26 pm

I am writing BA thesis on TPR Method in the Process of Second Language
Acquisition. In the third chapter I need to include in what other ways can this
method be applied in other fields than language teaching. So far I have no idea how to handle it This method is very useful when teaching beginners or small children in
a kindergarten but I was asked to find anything how it works with secondary school children as well. Do you have any idea where to look for
information.
Anna Jab&#322;o&#324;ska

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:18 am

Dear Anna

TPR is well-used for preschool and primary but many of the ideas can seem childish once you get to secondary school.

However TPR really only means using the body and different senses to learn - i.e. not just sitting passively at desks.

Therefore any kind of movement that you introduce in a class, even if it is just getting up and walking around the class searching out your partner who has an answer that matches your question, or the missing word for your gap fill, is a form of TPR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I interpret TPR!

There are plenty of free ideas for this on my site and I recommend that you check out the teen/adult ones as well as the primary ones because some of the primary ones can also be used at secondary level:

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/adults.htm

Kind regards
Shelley