6th grader with K5 skills in his L1

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:27 pm

The first week of school is done, and so far so good. He came to me for help on homework three days in a row on his own. I was able to get my after school study hall again, only three days a week. That's more than last year. His hearing from a couple weeks ago was moved back. I don't know when that'll be.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 am

Great to hear the ongoing story. A bit of good news in his life and it sounds like you are feeling better about things. Keep it up!

I just had a call from my "troublemaker" who is now in his late 40's. I had him as an adult literacy student in his 30's. I call him the Million Dollar Man because of all he has cost the system over the years with three bouts in jail, years in custody as a child, all the cars and other things he has stolen and trouble he has caused including a daughter in custody. But he is working again, has a stable relationship, people around him who don't seem to get into trouble with the law and is faithful in keeping touch. Now if can just beat the Crystal Meth as he has the drinking, cocaine and crack addictions.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 pm

I try to keep as positive an opinion as possible, at least when with the kids. After a first grader told me about something he did his first year here, and police being called, of course, I was upset and I was cross when working with him. It's not really a good thing to be in such a foul mood when working with kids, especially when you can't tell why you're in a bad mood. It's something that would be labeled as sexual assault- not rape or anything, but still inappropriate. I didn't want any reprecussions outside of school for the girl. I was sexually harrased in middle and high school, so I'm probably touchier than other people when it comes to this kind of thing.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:22 am

You don't have to approve of the deed but supporting the doer is different. It sounds like the student wanted to get something off his chest and see if you would accept him as a human being who makes mistakes. Pretty powerful stuff and shows what a great relationship you have with your students.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:14 am

I wouldn't say we have a great relationship. Some times are good, but others, .... The other day he told the ESL teacher we just got (and is his English teacher) that we don't get along. But what are you supposed to do if he's singing or talking in the middle of a class, just let him be? She told him that if he was quiet in class on the days I'm there, we'd give him a treat. We wouldn't have our clashes if he would just be quiet and work.
On the job front, I havent' heard back from any other place I applied. Writing is a hobby of mine, and after writing a fairy tale for a challenge on a writing site I go to, I decided to submit it for publication. I hopefully will hear back in three to five months.

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 am

JK Rowling submitted Harry Potter to six or seven publishers before she was successful so don't give up.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:38 pm

So far, Troublemaker hasn't had any major discipline problems. He still loves to complain about everything, which is annoying. His little brother has gotten worse. Thursday, he mooned his gym class. For those of you who don't know what mooning is, it means he pulled down his pants and showed his butt. Grandma screamed "What!?" when I told her. He got inschool suspension.

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am

I would sure love to teach these boys. Their creativity and spirit are enormous and if they are challenged and directed, they will contribute so much to society.

Listen closely to the complaints and document them. You will find a pattern and some of them may be fixable and some can be changed into challenges for him to overcome and create new solutions for. Just keep asking him, "How can we change that?"

Some of our greatest scientists didn't do well in school because of the way things are set up.

These kids are hunters and school is set up for farmers. These kids need room to move, sing, dance, and to express themselves with their bodies, to do things with their hands, and lots of visually oriented activities.

They can see long distances and small objects far away but have trouble with things that don't move like letters on a page that are close up.

Imagine being able to sing after all he has gone through. Such a triumph of spirit.