Motivation may not be the problem

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mlordon

Motivation may not be the problem

Post by mlordon » Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 am

I am completing my practicum in 2 high school classes, each is 80 minutes long. One class has 6 students with proficiency levels in the high 3's and low 4's. They need to be pushed a little sometimes, but I started using journal prompts (grading and reading them daily) to settle them down and get them focused and that is working well.

The second class is a little tougher, lower level proficiencies, and a lot of energy. Over the past several days, I have had what I thought were great lessons completely flop. I had to reassess on the spot in order to have the lesson, so I felt a little better reading the Chapter in this week's class assignment where the teacher had to tweak her lesson on the fly. It made me feel like it happens to everyone. In my elementary school lessons it is easier to have the kids focus.

That being said, I don't plan to give in to the secondary students, they need the help so it is my job to try another approach and continue to try to find the teaching methods and materials that keeps their interest and helps them learn the skills they need to succeed in acquiring English and being successful in their other content area classes.
8)