Improving oral fluency with teenagers

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

carriemcalinden

Improving oral fluency with teenagers

Post by carriemcalinden » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello!

I've been tutoring two Russian girls for 4 months now, in preparation for interviews and entrance exams to English schools in October. Obviously excellent oral English is paramount but I've mainly been focusing on exam prep, hoping that their speaking will improve naturally by using their English on a daily basis and by listening to a native speaker every day.

However, this just hasn't happened. One girl still struggles to string a basic sentence together, her intonation is completely off and when reading a simple text aloud she still reads words that are not the same as those on the page - confusing when/then, he/the, was/has etc. I have been trying to correct her intonation, grammar and pronunciation, but am reluctant to do this too much as I don't want to discourage them from speaking. To be honest, I've seen very little improvement this whole time.

So, now I am panicking and could really do with some advice from you guys! How can I get them to speak accurately but fluently, and for this to come naturally to them? I have been thinking of getting them to do presentations or recite poems, but I don't want to bore them to death or put them under too much pressure. Am I being too soft...?

Any suggestions MUCH appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Natalie Harvey

hmmm...

Post by Natalie Harvey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 am

The only thing I could say is to engage them in meaningful conversations. Research shows that in order to learn a second language a student must engage in REAL and meaningful interactions. I would suggest relaxing a little (I know that's easier said than done) and engaging them in conversations that interest them so they will really want to get their point across in English. Now, this isn't going to help with reading, BUT oral language is the first to naturally develop. If they can first built up some oral language, reading will come a bit easier. Also, how long have they studied English? 4 months is NOTHING. It takes years, so be kind to yourself!!!

Natalie
http://www.teachesol.wordpress.com