6th grader with K5 skills in his L1

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Senorita Daniels

6th grader with K5 skills in his L1

Post by Senorita Daniels » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:57 pm

I have a new student who will be a real challenge. He's a sixth grader who can only write his first name and some letters indepentantly. He is able to copy what is on the board for assignments, (we've had only 2 days of school so far this year, so the work is mainly covering text books, etc.). I transtate everything for him, information and directions, but have to constantly repeat myself.
In his art class, for example, the students have to draw a combination of an animal/ insect and a machine. I think that the art teacher's example should have been me an a record player (with a broken record, of course). The language arts teacher feels he can't be in a regular class, because he won't understand anything. Any suggestions?

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:59 pm

Maybe I should turn this into a diary of what I'm doing so that others can learn from my experiences- or offer suggestions. I'm teaching his language class one on one with a first grade text book for reading. I hope to be able to get through the series faster than we do in first grade so that we can get at least part of the second grade series in. He can add and subtract some- but doesn't know multiplication or division. Another teacher who is bilingual and works with special needs kids also helps with science. It's frustrating, having a student who needs to ask which books he needs for each hour. I wrote the hour number on the book covers- he still has to ask. HELP!

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:09 am

We had a small break through this week- math, even though it has to do with multiplying, which he doesn't know. On one worksheet we had to put a number in the place of variables, and then solve. I just made groups of lines to count to solve the problems. It works well, but is easier with small munbers. When you start talking about six times fifteen, it's a bit of a hassle. But he got what we were doing. He also spent all study hall working willingly on the assignment. The next morning, he showed me the rest of the work he did- only missed one problem. I pointed it out to him, and he said "Oops" and sat down to do it. I felt so good about it. Other things are still a struggle, but one good day can hopefully get me through to the next.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:32 pm

There's a program called NovaNet whic has all kinds of lessons for students, and we found an ESL program in it. Behavior has become a problem, fights at recess, telling me to shut up, etc. I know that part of this has to be because he doesn't understand a lot about what is going on. Even a Mexican mother of other students has told me that the schools are very different. Math has gone back down, but he is slowly begining to learn to multiply by rocket math. This program is basically one minute math tests that start with the basics, then start adding one or two more problems. You need to get as many as you can right as possible. To move to the next level, you need to meet your goal. He enjoys this. For reading, we are working on learning the sounds that go with each letter.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:31 pm

I just read in the Texas teachers forum that Mexican students can "negotiate" over how much work they can do, so maybe he just doesn't want to work. This doesn't go over well with anyone here. Are any of you sure that you never had a similar problem? I find it hard to believe that my student is the only one to ever try this.

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:45 am

Hi Senorita Daniels,
I think you are exactly right. He doesn't want to work! When I said negotiating, it refers to a situation such as when Americans come down here and buy things. The merchant is in business; they want to get a profit. The art of negotiating is really a lost science in America. The price on the sticker is the price and that's that. All a Mexican vendor has to do is say, this (7 dollar) blanket is $100. The American will sit back and quietly reflect on whether they want to pay it or not, but usually not. However, some do! The idea that you can "negotiate" for something that you shouldn't have, like a $100 for a blanket or getting to do less homework than everybody else, is foreign to most people up north. Its standard practice here. You have to learn to negotiate :wink: and tell him no!

It's really hard to explain what I am talking about if you haven't lived here for awhile and gotten used to people trying to sell you things way over priced or to get way more out of the deal than you. It makes you really be on your toes and makes you a tough person to barter with. You would be surprised at all the ways you can make a negotiation go more your way.

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:12 am

I don't want to give the impression that students in Mexico can actually negotiate how much work they do. On the contrary, I am saying to be firm with him and do not budge from your stance. In Mexico, if you push enough, you can often get your way, be it escaping from a speeding ticket or an extra day to get your homework in.

Your student is pushing your limits to see how much he can get. Know your limits and stand by them.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Thank you, Joshua2004, for all of the information on Mexican schools. We just had a parent teacher conference for this student today, and his life was worse than I imagined. Grandma told us that his mother basically pushed him out of the house at a young age, and for about five years he was on the street in a small town, all alone. It took a long time for the relatives to find him. In his old school, the teacher just wrote the assignments on the board, and never talked about the classwork. Just "There it is. Do it." His family here wants him to do well and take advantage of what we have to offer him academically, but he has a shell we need to break through first.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm

We may have had a break through. His little brother just came here from Mexico last week. Now, he has to help his brother learn English at home. He spent ten minutes asking how you say different things in English, but not repeating them. I Spy computer games have helped with some vocabulary. It repeats the name of items you find in the rooms or pictures. This gives you clues for the final search.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:48 pm

Nope. That didn't help. But, his brother wants to learn. Thank God they aren't alike on that.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Fri May 12, 2006 2:25 pm

He can add now, and carry the ten, which is more than before. He still won't let English sink into that thick skull of his.
I have good and bad news about my working with him. The good news (for me at least) is that I won't be able to find a lot of time to work with him. The bad news is that the reason I won't work with him is because of budget cuts. I will be forced to work half days instead of full days like now. This means I will have to focus on who really wants AND needs the help.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm full day again. The reforandum passed. I've now spent 3 days in class with the problem student, and he spoke English with some classmates!!!!!! They are making paper skeletons in groups in science (7th grade now). He asked me first what color, and I just shrugged my shoulders. Then, he said "What color?" to his groupmates.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:01 pm

There is an excellent documentary on "Feral Children" that has been showing on TV lately. FeralChildren.com | A list of isolated, confined and feral children. I think you have one and seeing the documentary or reading about them will help you realize all the things that this boy might be missing. It sounds like he has done well compared to the children in Feral Children because he has some language. He might be missing a lot in Spanish though and so he can't learn the English equivalents. Glad to hear you are back full-time. He needs you.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 am

I'm pretty sure he isn't a Feral child. He did know how to take care of himself in public situations, copy letters, and a lot of basic things. But yes, there definately is a lot missing. His little brother (4th grade now, 1 semester here last year) knew more than the big brother. He was reading and has cought on fairly quickly, but still with some gaps, especially in science and social studies. Part of me thinks that the older one has a learning problem that wasn't caught in Mexico, therefore never addressed, and now making things harder for him. He does have a better attitude so far. He also told me this morning that he was going to have a writen gym test this afternoon. Last year, he probably would have not told me that, because it would have meant being with me more. Since he didn't have my help for about three weeks, that probably showed him that he really does need the help.

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 pm

I thought a bit more about your feral children comment, and that could be one of the things adding to the problem of this student. His mom kicked him out of the house when he was around 5. He lives with his grandma now and her boyfriend. Grandma said that she would have brought him here with her if she would have known what would happen. I suggested the documentary to a principal here for an inservice for high/ middle school staff.