Ideas for opening an English Club for Hight School students

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sameera

Ideas for opening an English Club for Hight School students

Post by Sameera » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi all,

We're planning to open an English Club at our school and because this is our first experience, I was hoping that I could benefit from your great ideas. Our students are girls aged 15-18.

If you have a club at your school or could lead me to sites with useful information, I would be grateful if you would share them with me.

Thank you :)

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:44 pm

It sounds like an interesting opportunity. If I was able to do this at my school, I would put the students to come up with school wide projects as part of the function of the club.

Sameera

Post by Sameera » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:16 pm

Thanx joshua, that sure sound like a great idea, I'll do it.

snroman

International Club

Post by snroman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:51 pm

I am the only ESL teacher at a public school in North Carolina, and one of my goals for next year is to start an "International Club" at the school, to involve ESL students and also American kids who are interested in language, travel, different cultures, etc. I would also greatly appreciate ideas, though I have a few...one thing is that 22 of our 25 ESL students are from Mexico, and I don't want the club to be a "Hispanic" club--I actually speak Spanish, but I'd like to create a social club that is inclusive and will allow all the ESL students to have positive interactions with non-Spanish speaking students and teachers. I'd like to have an "international food tasting", maybe get the club to do a presentation about the immigration experience for the social studies dept, do an excursion (ropes course, beach outing, or something fun) organize a fund-raiser...but I'd like to come up with other ideas for activities that they could do.

Roooose

Post by Roooose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:45 pm

hi sameera

i was very happy to see ur topic

we have organized an english club too

and Iam the supervisor :roll:

so it woul be a good idea to share ideas and to benefit from other teacher's experience 8)

cu

Roooose

Post by Roooose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:47 pm

joshua2004 wrote:It sounds like an interesting opportunity. If I was able to do this at my school, I would put the students to come up with school wide projects as part of the function of the club.
hi joshua

what do you mean by projects?

I mean what kind of projects?
:)

Roooose

Post by Roooose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:50 pm

dear friends

I forgot to tell you that my students' first language is Arabic

so , I think I have to work hard to make the english atmoshere especially that there will not be a big number of Sts :(

I meand those who eant to participate