I could really use some good advice

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ELL spring chicken

I could really use some good advice

Post by ELL spring chicken » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:39 pm

We are now into the second half of the year and I am trying to gather some good info to give my school district to solve our problems with our ELL program.

I was hired this year as the first ELL teacher in the district. I am brand new at teaching ELL. The district has had 5 tutors who helped the students with their classwork, etc. I was hired this year to teach them to "read, write and speak English".

The tutors were frustrated from the beginning because they were becoming overloaded (at the junior high and k-1 levels). They were trying to do so much because the kids were enrolled in regular classes. I have been traveling between 4 different schools and basically starting from scratch. I have been using a language curricula which is good, but there are so many other pressures on the kids, that it is almost seems a waste of their time to come to English class. I am looking for some solutions. What are some things that work for you all?

What does a good program look like?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.