A tried and tested but troubled teacher

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sinclair75

A tried and tested but troubled teacher

Post by Sinclair75 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:16 am

I've been teaching for eight years now in both secondary and primary schools, (in England, Canada, and Scotland) but now have my first ESL post in a foreign high school, Poland. I have 16 different classes and see each one once a week for 45 minutes. Then I have a double block of students wishing to progress further and one individual student with a mind to obtain a job which requires the need for English proficiency. I have no difficulties whatsoever planning, assessing, and encouraging talk. Management is nearly perfect except for one class: they are 14/15 year olds (I'm sure you are all groaning right about now) who believe the world owes them a living. My difficulty is how best to manage when I only see them once for 45 minutes? Do I devote 15 minutes to minimizing low level behaviour? Do I relax and let them murmur, and giggle, and distract because it's only 45 minutes? Do I rule with an iron fist? The Head of English, if such a thing really exists in this school, suggests that I mark them and place some weight in the marking on attitude/behaviour. I've never used this approach before in teaching but, given the limited time I have with them, think it might be the best approach. I'm here to teach conversation and vocabulary, so tests might seem contrary to the goal of conversation, but I'm a bit out of breath. I've seen them three times now and they only seem to get better :twisted: Any and all suggestions, comments, condolences, etc are welcome.

erinyes

Post by erinyes » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:31 pm

Oh, I’m sorry! I teach rich kids in China and they do the same… murmur, try to play the games on their electric dictionaries, try to sleep, etc.

It’s a slog. I do a combination of getting them interested in the lesson with a short video clip related to the topic, confiscating, harsh looks, giving them reasons to listen to their peers when they speak, rational explanation of why to be good and of course ignoring the behavior.

The hardest thing is they know it’s only 45 minutes a week, and they probably also realizes that whatever the standard behavior management procedure is in the school, that you probably wont have access to it.

I wish I had the answer. Everyone at this school thinks I am a great teacher, but I still can't figure out what to do about those problems.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:28 pm

You can also video tape the class and play it for the parents when they come for their first interviews or play it for the students and point out where the behaviour is disruptive and then tape them again for their parents with their knowledge of course. Then just leave the camera in the corner for a few lessons with a red light flashing. They actually sell cheap trick cameras to put up in the corner of the room and have the light flashing. Just a quick point to the camera might change someone's behaviour. Regardless, all this can be done in English and give them a lesson in understanding the vocabulary of filming and so on. It might even lead to making a film and that always involves a lot of planning, organizing, that can be done in English and provides a great role model for future classes as they see the "cool" kids speaking only in English on the film. Breaking them up into small groups for projects might be a good idea s well. They can tape their discussions and share the tapes from group to group with other groups critiquing or adding to the discussions. They must erase any conversations or expressions in their own language and record only English to pass it on to the next group. They can research a topic and present to other groups or even the whole class and eventually to parents. Competition at a low level between the groups sometimes promotes doing their best work. Arranging for exchanges of all types sometimes inspires them as well from emailing to actual exchanges. Bring in some foreign English speaking visitors so there are enough people to have small groups - the divide and conquer method. Have the students brainstorm questions they would like to ask to get the conversations rolling and then each group can report on their discussions in the next class. Send off small groups to do projects in the library, art room, music room, related to a presentation and concentrate on the kids who are giving you trouble and train them to co-operate. Get to know them after school as well so you can talk about relevant topics in class and bring out their talents and abilities. Find out where they hang out and visit after school and get to know them as people.