teaching measurements

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Senorita Daniels

teaching measurements

Post by Senorita Daniels » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on teaching measurement to middle school students? He has time and temperature down, but length, weght, capacity and perimiter and area are still hard for my student.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:11 pm

I can see why he would know his temperature - because it is practical and something he can use every day. You just have to make the other measurements as necessary and practical for him. I remember at that age we measured everything in the room so that we could redesign the classroom and put the furniture in a better configuation. If you have some real projects to do, you can include your student. Doing a study on overweight children? He can weigh all his classmates. Wanting to line the field for a soccer game? He can help the coach decide how long the lines will be and where to draw various necessary goal lines and why. Set him up with the janitor to measure out cleaning supplies or the secretary to order supplies. Set him up with the librarian to plan for new shelving and so on. Cook with him and teach him to measure.