How to let students interested in English

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wangzhenjiang

How to let students interested in English

Post by wangzhenjiang » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:13 am

Hello everybody! I am an Elementary school teacher.I teacher grade 1 and grade 6.How to let students interested in English is a big problem for me.Because we have exam every month and stand in line for the achievement.Achievement is very important for us. We do ererything plssible to improve it. So some of students are not feel interesting for English.How to let students interested in English and improve achievement ?

snowboy

Interest is the critical element

Post by snowboy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:10 am

:lol: After reading your message, I want to express my opinion about stimulating student's interest on English. Over much exams brings students severe distaste to English learning. Teachers want to improve their score and level, but they have no interest to any thing even the high score. Thus arousing students' interest on English movie, story, computer games and any thing related to English is the critical step. Only keep their interest, can we hold the possibilty of improving their level.

zxlair

Re: Interest is the critical element

Post by zxlair » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:09 pm

snowboy wrote::lol: After reading your message, I want to express my opinion about stimulating student's interest on English. Over much exams brings students severe distaste to English learning. Teachers want to improve their score and level, but they have no interest to any thing even the high score. Thus arousing students' interest on English movie, story, computer games and any thing related to English is the critical step. Only keep their interest, can we hold the possibilty of improving their level.
i have the same feeling with you . BUt the fact is very different from what you thought. our school has 10 classes. ANd the level of students is from :( high to low. NOt only the teacher ,but also the parents, they only focus on the score students got from the exam. And the score became the only standard to measure your ability. Sometimes, i want to add something new into the class, and something more interesting. BUt the severe situation told me not to be too idealistic. SOMetimes, we have to be realistic. IT is what the reality told me. But how can we balance the maintain the interest of students and the high scores?

trubadour

Post by trubadour » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Don't mean to be rude guys, but have you noticed this is the secondary (not elementary) forum? You'll find other sections more relevant to your difficulties.

Best wishes and the best of luck,

Trubadour.

eileen612

Post by eileen612 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 am

I also find tit is hard for students have interest in the class. It is so difficult for teachers to stimulate students on the class. So I think maybe it is a good way to add some activities games to arise students’ interest/