Share Conversational English lesson plans?

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

chasingrabbitsvw

Share Conversational English lesson plans?

Post by chasingrabbitsvw » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:35 am

I have never taught English Conversation before, but I start this week. I will be working at a public high school in Korea. Most of my teaching experience so far has been teaching art in the US, and teaching American textbook classes to elementary students in Seoul. I have been coming up with ideas about using current events topics and I may even open an art appreciation and criticism class later on.

Would anyone be willing to share some lesson plans?

chasingrabbitsvw

Post by chasingrabbitsvw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:07 am

Im 3 weeks in and so far I've been mostly using role playing activities with my classes. My instructions have been to create fun lessons giving students ample practice in speaking. I am not supposed to teach grammar or vocabulary. I have no set objectives or standards to follow, and for most students they do not even receive a grade. My co-teacher tells me to teach whatever I want as long as students have fun and practice speaking. So far so good, but in the weeks ahead, Im looking for new material. Most websites Ive browsed are directed toward young students. Any leads on high school speaking activities would be appreciated.

ormesr

Breaking News English is a great resource

Post by ormesr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:28 am

Hi,

I have found that this guys websites are an amazing resource for conversation classes and he uses British news events (if the school is looking at introducing British culture).

http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/banville.html

Follow the links under the My Website heading

Good luck

Russell

chasingrabbitsvw

Post by chasingrabbitsvw » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that website before. I have amassed a huge collection of ESL links this past year.

2 of the most useful so far have been:
http://bogglesworldesl.com/
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/try/a ... ing/recent

Im still trying to find games that are appropriate for teens and that have educational value. Im picky, and its hard to find games that are both of those.

labonteesl

teach conversation.....not reading skills

Post by labonteesl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:48 pm

My advice to you is to concentrate on conversation skills only. Korean school systems focus on reading skills which are quite different from conversation skills.Since they have you there to teach conversation, why not focus on conversation skills ONLY.
I taught in Korea 30 years ago. Like you, I had no teaching experience at the time in English. What astounded me is that the college students that I taught had many English textbooks for their classes,but had no conversation skills. It was tremendously frustrating for them. All those years of studying didn't address conversation skills.
What I found helpful is breaking it down into the most commonly used conversation patterns. I identified 150. If you want a copy of them, just e mail me. It takes about 20 to 25 hours to focus on the patterns with them. Giving them a simplified road map out of the maze will be a big relief. Help them to solve the riddle on why they can read but not speak.
Peace.
Don La Bonte