Need some advice

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Trousers

Need some advice

Post by Trousers » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:12 am

Hi guys,

I'd like a bit of advice from secondary school teachers please! I'm setting up a website that will help students with their essay writing skills. This will include advice on grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will also correct students' essays for them and answer any burning questions.

Am I playing by the rules? If a student were to visit my site and learn a lot from it, would it constitute cheating? And would I be liable?

Obviously, if I were to correct someone's English coursework before they hand it in, I'd be helping them to increase their marks; but they could do this just by looking in a grammar dictionary. What is the official line on this?

sita

Post by sita » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:12 pm

Hi!

I do the same with our site.

http://www.fun2learnmore.de/

I do not see any legal problems!

Best wishes
Siân

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:05 am

With regards to marking...

I used to correct all the students mistakes and found they get nothing from it but only get depressed when there's so much red through their work...but that is marking by hand...

I am worried, how can the students learn from their writing over the internet?? Is red colour used to indicate where they had a mistake?? I would be quite interested in how you do this...

A tip a fellow teacher gave me once was to only show where the mistake is and what kind of mistake it is by putting a symbol above the area or underlining the phrase and putting the symbol above, ie:

G=Grammar mistake
SP=Spelling mistake
P=Punctuation mistake
^=word missing
T=wrong tense
WW=wrong word
WO=Word order
St=Style mistake

This is actually taken from Headway Intermediate

It made marking much faster and the students went away to think over their writing again, they came back if they wanted it checked again. I think this way they learnt more as extra thought processes help cement things...

Don't know if this is somehow possible over the computer...just an idea.