Is concordance software suitable in English Teaching?

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL computer software </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Shuo Yang

Is concordance software suitable in English Teaching?

Post by Shuo Yang » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 am

Nowadays, concordance is a popular topic and branch in English linguistics.Therefore, I opine that we might cope with our English education relied on it, especially in writing and translation fields.

It is very difficult to normalize a right answer in terms of the practice of writing and translaion, since they are descriptive and performative activities. Notwithstanding, we may design a corncordance software, so that we can imput the tasks of our students and some excellent fruits of others. Then, we are able to make a comparison by ourselves, or with our students on the class, from the aspects of stylistics, grammar and word choices.

However, I don't make sure it is a suitable and feasible plan.

Nianli MA

Post by Nianli MA » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:52 am

Maybe it is useful.

JeremyintheCzechRep

Concordance

Post by JeremyintheCzechRep » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:40 am

What delightfully flowery English Shuo Yang uses! Yes, I use concordance software with my students. I am an 'extremist' who doesn't use the L1 in the classroom. I was challenged by a French teacher to explain the word 'though' without using a translation. I printed out a sheet of sentences which all included the word 'though'. I gave it to my two students who read through them and then were able to produce their own sentences using 'though'.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:49 pm