Suggestions for survival english type book

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

nickh2011

Suggestions for survival english type book

Post by nickh2011 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi there,

I am researching books to use with beginner levels(Basic) that focuses more on useful conversational skills for everyday use with also grammar as secondary and in context. I have seen some potential books online but looking for any recommendations from people that may have taught a similar class.

Thanks

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Age and class size?

nickh2011

Post by nickh2011 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Classes will all be adult, ranging from 18-30 on average. Sizes of classes will be no more than 12-15

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 pm

I used a combination of books, getting four or of one book and then four of three others. I give one of each to a group of four and we try to see what they cover and what they don't, which one explains the most clearly and which one has the most relevant materials that are interesting to the students. Then we critique and try to develop a book of our own with more relevant materials.

I would also check with the classes above because a series has a certain way or presenting material and if they are going to be using the series in upper classes, it is best to start out with that series explaining how the book is set up and what is required to do the exercises and eventually what it is missing that you have to supply further information and exercises for.

I would check with the university or higher education in the area to see what they are using as well as you can dovetail into their programs with suitable series if the students are going on.

nickh2011

Post by nickh2011 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Sally,

Thanks a lot. I was also working on the assumption that I may need to develop my own material. Do you have a list of books that you may have used with the students?

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:27 pm

There are many more but here are four.

Pearson Longman English Language Teaching (ELT)
Pearson Longman English Language Teaching (Pearson Longman ELT) is a leading educational publisher of quality resources for all ages and abilities across ...
www.pearsonlongman.com/ - Cached - Similar

New American Streamline: Departures An Intensive American English Series for Beginners Workbook B (Units 41-80) [P

Interchange 3rd Edition
Interchange Third edition is a four-level series for adult and young-adult learners of English from the beginning to the high-intermediate level.
Jenni Guilfoyle, Lilliana Hajncl, Paul Learmonth 2005, AMES Best English: CSWE I, AMES, Melbourne.&#8232;Contents: 5 workbooks, introduction for teachers, module notes and resources, assessment tasks, answers, bilingual information, DVD, audiocassette. Workbook Titles: Work (CSWE I Module B - Beginner communication skills) A Place to Live (CSWE I Module C - Beginner spoken interaction skills) Food (CSWE I Module E - Beginner speaking and reading skills) Safety at Home (CSWE I Module F - Beginner listening and reading skills) Getting around (CSWE I Module K - Beginners

If you get a chance to go to a conference and visit the book displays wait until the last day and try to get them cheaper or even free. The more the merrier especially at the begineers level.

nickh2011

Post by nickh2011 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the information Sally!