Oxford Picture Dictionary

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

chadzing

Oxford Picture Dictionary

Post by chadzing » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:45 pm

I have been told that the Oxford Picture Dictionary can be used as a core text for ESL. I am preparing to teach an adult ESL class for Korean adults. Am waiting on desk copy (carrier seems to have lost it) to preview. In mean time, anyone out there used it? Opinions? Thanks.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:40 pm

I really liked it, especially if it has the language of the students included. You can make up stories about the pictures after they learn the words through games and so on. There are cards to go with it if you can afford them and they are fun to use. I made my own tapes of the stories that they wrote but I think there are tapes and a teacher's manual. It seems to inspire students to start taking pictures of things in their own world because it is usually quite different from those pictured in the books. Then they can make their own picture dictionaries. It seems to me to be a more useful book to keep around in the future for kids - something they can use to look up words they need. You can develop the picture stories by taking pictures of a longer series of actions and making comics out of them with comments underneath and so on. Groups can work together to make stories and then short films if you have the equipment. You can get the storyboards of popular films on the Internet to show them what happens when a film is made. I like the fact that they are learning vocabulary in groups under a theme because it seems to stick better when they do that. You can ask them how they learn vocabulary the best and what strategies they use. It provides an easy amount of words to test if you have to do that because you can learn a page a lesson or so and then reward them for learning that amount so is kind of motivating. You can blank out one book for testing and have them test each other. They can make word puzzles, cloze tests and so on for others. Lots of possibilities.

limeorange

Post by limeorange » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:59 pm

It's an excellent book. I used to have it myself. The book was small but had many, many words. Check out http://www.pidic.com for an online picture dictionary on the Internet.

eslculture

A very helpful textbook-dictionary for ESL teachers

Post by eslculture » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 am

IMHO, A very helpful textbook-dictionary for ESL teachers
Several years ago I came across a new for me textbook-dictionary. I was happy to use it with my students.

However, in 2009 a remarkable new editions of "Oxford Picture Dictionary (2nd Edition)", "Oxford Picture Dictionary Interactive" and "Oxford Picture Dictionary for Kids" were released. You can choose either monolingual or 11 bilingual editions. There are 3 levels of workbooks and audio-programs. Students of all ages adore this textbook because it consists of beautiful pictures understandable for all ages. The interactive multimedia CD-ROM makes the learning process much more interesting and easy to follow, understand and learn. The authors divided the material into very convenient parts. They all correspond to different levels of language proficiency of children and adults. Exercises in workbooks are very useful for those who study ESL. It is easy for teachers to make special topical discussions, role-playing, quizzes etc. So, the teacher can successfully use tem in class, in language labs and it can be easily adapted to individual, pair, or small group work in any ESL classroom.

I must say that students are very enthusiastic with their new textbook and willingly work with it. I’ll be happy to hear your opinions.

Here are the links if you want to find more about ‘Oxford Picture Dictionary’ http://www.esl.net/oxford_picture_dictionary.html#about
the CD http://www.esl.net/oxford_picture_dicti ... ctive.html
or ‘Oxford Picture Dictionary for Kids’ series: http://www.esl.net/oxford_picture_dictionary_kids.html

GambateBingBangBOOM

Post by GambateBingBangBOOM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 am

I just got Word By Word (English / Japanese) and Word by Word Basic (English / Japanese) instead. I looked at both Oxford and Pearson Longman, but thought that the two Word By Words would be a bit easier for me to use in my current situation (teaching junior high now again after doing senior high discourse-level writing for the last three years).

I only have the core dictionaries (dictionary/ text is probably a better description), but looked on the website and there are workbooks as well as teacher manuals (the bookstore that I got the books from seems to only ever carry student editions of texts, and it didn't have workbooks for these texts). I wish there was a link to a dedicated web page listed in the student text, but apparently there is one in the Teacher's Manual.

I've tried using the kind of textbooks that I would use in Canada (basically like ANY of the beginning /basic level English language textbooks you see in bookstores) but they seem to be 'too hard' (in that they require the students to do something other than what they are used to, and so they basically just don't).

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

With the previous version, there was a corresponding activity book of photocopiable pages. I scanned it and have it on my laptop for whenever I need an image or two. With luggage restrictions, I just can't carry as many books as I'd like to and few such books are even now available in digital form.