Masters in the U.S.

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

orlandoiam

Masters in the U.S.

Post by orlandoiam » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Hello-- this is my first message at Dave's ESL cafe. I actually want to post this in the "Training" section, but I don't seem to be having any success...so now I'm trying this forum. (Sorry.)

I am currently teaching in Bangkok Thailand. I have taught for almost 2 years now. I wish to get my Masters because eventually I plan to return to the United States and teach English (as hopeless as that appears to be when reading through this forum :). Also, I have discovered that I'm very excited about teaching English. I find language and language acquisitiion fascinating (sorry if my vocabulary terms are off...I am still quite new to this field--and haven't studied yet.) and I love teaching.

There has been a lot of great information about online courses, but I'm afraid I don't have the gumption to finish an online course. I think I need more of a community (however small) in order to learn.

I want to return to the United States to get my Masters. From my understanding there appears to be several different types: MA TESOL, M.ed English, and E. Ed Curriculum and Instruction with Concentration in ESL.

I have also found about 10 regularly mentioned schools for a MA (meaning mentioned at least once :) ).
1)University of South Carolina
2)Columbia International University
3)Indiana University
4)Northern Arizona
5)Temple, Pennsylvania
6)Seattle Pacific University
7)University of Maryland, (College Park and Baltimore campuses)
8)School of International Training-- SIT (Virginia)
9)University of Hawaii, Manoa
10) University of Texas, Arlington

From my current understanding, Hawaii seems to be a "big" name and SIT appears to be well recommended as well. Although both appear to be expensive (Manoa more so with the cost of living....)
I have attempted going to the Universities' websites to further my understanding of their programs. But as I have no actual knowledge of TESL/TEFL vernacular or of even big names in the field...I haven't found this very helpful either.

Basically, I'm an interested ESL idiot hoping someone can fill me in through actual experience on their end.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone attended any of these schools?
Which would you recommend and why?

Or if there are other schools which I am not aware of, could you please recommend them...

I am at a complete loss on how to go about choosing a school...
I have heard there are differences between Masters-- some focus more upon linguistics, while others focus more upon the practicalities of teaching. I believe I want to focus more on teaching.
I don't think I have the smarts for a linguistic focus but I'm very excited about teaching...so which universities should I look at?

I believe I want more of a "practical" masters. (I understand there is the Diploma in Europe...but this isn't an option for me.) And as I mentioned earlier, I don't think I have what it takes for distance learning either....

So-- Master courses in the U.S. with any explanations would be fantastic---
Thank you....

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:48 pm

San Francisco State University has an M.A. program in TESOL.

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.sfsu.edu/~matesol/

Here is a link to their "links" page http://www.sfsu.edu/~matesol/links.html#4

I didn't study there, but I know we hire a lot of people who have gotten their degrees there.