ITTO Course

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mjohncoady

ITTO Course

Post by mjohncoady » Wed May 10, 2006 10:16 pm

I am retired and living in Lake Chapala Mexico. I have no teaching experience but I do have a BA in Pol. Sci. and a Master's in Health Care Administration. I am a US citizen by birth and, of course, a native English speaker.

There is a school offering TEFL certificates about an hour away by bus or car, in Guadalajara, called ITTO. My interests might include enough paid employment to offset the costs of a good Spanish School (also in Guadalajara) and some volunteer work with children (and, of course, the cost of my course).

I am expressly interested in hearing from anyone who has direct experience with this organization (they have schools in other locations) but would also like some advice.

My two sons make their living teaching but neither has a teaching degree. The engineer teaches math at a private shcool in Penn. The other, with a BA in International Affairs and minor in Chinese, teaches english in Taiwan. Both seem to have had no problem with their lack of training and love their jobs. I think I would be more comfortable if I had some supervised teacher training, however, so I am leaning towards this course. However, living on a fixed income, I cannot really afford to throw away $1400 US so I would like people's assessments on whether I will feel I have my money's worth at the end.