Translating in the TOEFL class?!

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Fruitymonkey

Translating in the TOEFL class?!

Post by Fruitymonkey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 am

I didn't seem to find much about this subject surfing on the net.

My question is, to what level should translation of a learners native language be allowed?

This may seem absurd right? Most TOEFL teachers would say absolutely none. But I would like to argue it juts a bit. I appreciate you reading. Take this example, these thoughts and my experiences into account:

I've been teaching in Mexico (Spanish is the native language here) for 8 months or so and currently still am.

A very common phrase I get asked by students is "what places do you know here in Mexico?" Sounds a bit weird huh? What they mean to ask is what places have you 'visited' or what places have you 'been' to here in Mexico...

They are incorrectly translating a Spanish word 'conocer' In the sentence: ?Que lugares conoces aqui en Mexico? - ?Que (what) lugares (places)conoces (do you know) aqui (here) en (in) Mexico?

So the last time I heard this question I explained that they cannot translate it like that. (Was I wrong to mention the idea of translating in the class?)

How can this piece of information be a minus to the classroom? My knowledge and ability to translate correctly in this circumstance (I think, well this is what I want to debate) was helpful to them.

My next point is that students are always asking each other or me how to translate certain things. I'm sure that many people who have taught in other countries will have had a similar experience.

For example a student is telling the class about something that happened, and they get to a word they're missing in their vocab and then they say "?Como se dice....?" "Teacher how do I say....?"

What are our response options here as teachers? I have to admit I've been changing my strategies due to my uncertainty.

1. This is what I usually do: "please no Spanish in the class, please describe the word to me in English and i will tell you what it is. Please don’t ask your class mate. Is it a verb or noun or....?

2. Sometimes before I can say anything another student has translated it like lightning -problem solved. Are we going to tell this student off for helping his/her friend by using Spanish? It just saved you class time and effort.

3. I'm still learning Spanish, but often I know what word they're looking for, I have to confess to translating sometimes. You could spend allot of time and energy explaining with body motions and definitions etc. "it’s like...um....the dictionary says...." *they look at you with a blank stare (the words in the dictionary were all too large)* Which totally blocks the flow of what they were trying to say to you or/and the class -OR- you could just tell them what it is in their language...Fast. Done. Simple!

Another separate issue- some words are almost impossible to explain to a non advanced level. We have all run into these right?! What can we do? I don’t have an answer, sometimes i will look it up in a bilingual dictionary or just give them a synonym or say don’t worry about it in this class for now, we will get to it later. (I assume that when the time is right this word will crop up again when the student has a higher level and they will then understand the dictionary definitions better or my or another teacher's explanations).

Basically I guess the arguments are this:

100% English classes: Benefits: students get more experience speaking English because of a strict stance against the use of a native tongue. Therefore are less likely to let other sentences slip out during exercises. Their minds stay focused in the world of English.

Against: some things can be very quickly solved through translating. It’s much less time and effort consuming. I just thought of something very important- TRANSLATING IS SOMETIMES CLEARER for the student. It’s the truth! sometimes if I define in English they will be "yeah ok I think I understand" but if I translate their word in their language they have the meaning exactly. (And yes I'm aware of false cognates etc, often I will back up translations with English definitions and examples)

Some words are incredibly difficult maybe impossible to explain with definitions, body motions etc. particularly at some levels. In these cases translation is helpful. Providing context is given in English.

Well in conclusion, I still don’t know exactly where I stand. Maybe somewhere like 98% English with an occasional translation, although I am conflicted because I don’t want to send my students mixed messages...

I’m hoping that an overseas veteran might read this and give me their thoughts and advice. Thanks!

Sheila Collins

Post by Sheila Collins » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 am

I don't think it's a "mixed message" to translate the occasional word; when a child is learning to speak a language, we don't assume he will learn what an apple is without an example.

I teach to Chinese students, and my Mandarin is limited to about 5 pathetic sentences. We translate on a regular basis. However, what I expect of them is to do what they can in English. If they can explain most of it in English, and translate one word, then I can correct the phrase or idiom.

If you're letting them draw pictures, or use body language to communicate, you're already using languages other than English, just ones you both understand.

My problem with translating is when it becomes a word-for-word habit, and proper use of the appropriate words is forsaken.