After Returning from Teaching Abroad

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kutereba

After Returning from Teaching Abroad

Post by kutereba » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 am

Hi,

My partner and I wanted to go teaching in Taiwan for 12 months but he is now getting worried as he is currently training to be an art teacher and is worried if he leaves after only teaching Art for 1 year he will struggle to get a job when he returns to the UK. Advice he has received from someone on his course used the phrase 'career suicide.' Does anyone have any experience of similar situations?

cheers

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 am

If you come back, no. Your opportunities will be greater.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:37 pm

I disagree with Sally. A year or two abroad is a great experience, but it will almost certainly set back your career in the UK. That is the choice you have to make. The days of employers being impressed by people living abroad are long gone.

TEFLtastic blog - http://tefltastic.wordpress.com
Last edited by alexcase on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm

It depends what you do when you are abroad. My colleague mounted an art show, taught art classes for adults after school, helped at the national gallery, made good friends and contacts abroad and was valued when he returned for what he had done.