CELTA Location Question

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

amercat37

CELTA Location Question

Post by amercat37 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello. My name is Allen. I have a question about where to take my CELTA? I'm considering International House (Costa Rica), Language Link (Hanoi, Vietnam), and Language Link (Beijing, China). I like Costa Rica because I have been there before and feel quite comfortable there. It is not that different than the United States, in my opinion. I'm also considering Asia because I have never been there and it would be a new experience. My questions are: 1) When going for my CELTA, is it wise to try a new country, or should I stick with one that I already know? 2) Can anyone make a comment on any of the above schools or countries?

Thank,
Allen

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Allen. For advice on specific training centers you'd be best joining the Job Discussion/International forums here on Dave's (separate registration is required) and posting your queries in each appropriate country or region's forum. Regarding the general question of whether to do the CELTA nearer to home or abroad however, the general consensus seems to be that being nearer to home allows one to concentrate on the work, undistracted by exotic locales, jet lag, upsets to health etc, whilst being abroad on the other hand does bring the benefit of putting you much closer to the contacts and networking opportunities you may need to get that first job and thus start gaining experience. The real question then is, where do you want to work? If you can see yourself working in Vietnam (somehow - the last I read they were making the work/visa regulations "impossible") or China for at least a year, then by all means consider working in those countries. But Costa Rica sure seems tempting for the training at least, and if you reckon you'll be able to springboard out of there and into the wider TEFLing world easily enough, then why not equally take the CELTA there!