Planning to teach english in Vietnam. Need advice!

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

edmundcwm

Planning to teach english in Vietnam. Need advice!

Post by edmundcwm » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 am

I’m planning to stay in Hanoi for awhile at the end of this year and, at the same time, teach english as a means of supporting myself. Since I do not have any prior experience whatsoever, I’m looking to take up a 1-month TEFL course in Ho Chi Minh city before I go up to Hanoi and settle down.

Since I’m a Singaporean, is it going to be a lot more difficult for us non-native speakers to find a job in Vietnam? I do have a bachelor’s degree though. And with the TEFL cert. that I’m planning to get, I hope it can boost my chances of securing a job.

Also, do you recommend taking the online TEFL course as opposed to the in-class one? The price difference is really drastic but I’ve read somewhere that the online course is pretty much useless because the main thing about this course is the hands-on approach that students will undergo, something that can only be learned in person.

I appreciate any advice you can give!

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:58 am

Vietnam has very strict requirements even for native English speakers. They require a degree in English or English related majors before they provide a legal working visa. For TEFL courses, take a look at this site: http://goldstarteachers.com/intesol-cou ... g-english/