small TOEFL class -- recommendations please

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Glenski

small TOEFL class -- recommendations please

Post by Glenski » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:44 am

I've just learned that in 3 weeks, I will be teaching a TOEFL preparation class to 2 high level 3rd year students (current scores are 550-600). I've taught them other English courses before, so we are familiar, but I have never taught a TOEFL prep class.

We will meet 4 times a week, so that means I need to create that many lesson plans every week! A daunting task, indeed.

Of course, I'm scouring the Net for whatever I can glean and/or download in that short period of time, plus I'm talking to my school's Japanese teacher of the regular TOEFL class to see what the "lower" level kids are getting, but I would greatly appreciate any advice. I'm guessing I'll have to provide lessons in all 4 of the language areas (reading, writing, speaking, listening), but FOUR LESSONS A WEEK!!!!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:16 pm

I had a wonderful TOEFL class with a group several years ago. The first thing we did each class was to watch the CNN news - just the highlights that is on for about 5 minutes. I seem to remember hearing that the test of new words was based on CNN news but of course, you can watch or tape and watch any English language news feature. This helps them get up to speed on hearing someone talk quickly and brings in new vocabulary. You can play it three, four or five times at the beginning and discuss vocabulary. I was able to get the script of the news so they could also read along. This also developed into many discussions about all current events and I had them take roles and write down the discussion and then record it so they get the idea of what is happening on the listening portion of the TOEFL. They also did role plays in the bank, on the bus and so on. Then we went through each section of the TOEFL and I taught them the tricks of the trade. These are availalbe in any of the self-practice TOEFL books like Barron. Things like: read the answers before you listen to the question in the listening section. When you have finished answering, quicky go to the next question and read all the answers before you listen to the next question. This is enormously helpful because then they are prepared for names and occupations and so on that are always in the answers and have less words to figure out just from the listening. There are tons of tricks for each section. I had them making up questions for the sections themselves based on their errors in the essays they wrote for practice. I don't know if yours are taking the essay portion but try to get their errors from previous work and ask them what they think the people who make up the exams are looking for. I found that when they understood the reasons behind each section it was much more meaningful for them and they were much more able to figure out answers.
The more work that they do for themselves the less frightening it all seems because they see it is made by humans and not by some nameless authority. They also discovered patterns and frequent questions - things that they just have to memorize. I remember one question that always seemed to be included - "What is the time by your watch?" Not something that we hear often these days in Canada at least. I understand that they can take practice tests on the computer these days too. After each practice test we took, I had them switch and mark someone else's paper and we puzzled through the difficult ones together. They could often explain to one another the reason for the answer quickly in their own language.

Pink Piggy

Post by Pink Piggy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:42 pm

Glenski: Don't panic...if there was ever a course that works well teaching from a text, it is TOEFL. Get a good book and follow along. The CDs are usually included. If you want to supplement, great, but if you are worried about filling it up...well TOEFL teachers everywhere will chuckle. You will soon see that the problem is never filling up the time, but trying to get through enough before the test date.
Personally, I like the Heinle and Heinle Complete Guide to the TOEFL. It's pretty comprehensive in all four area...and don't forget vocabulary. I always give my students two vocabulary exercises from the text - one idiomatic one, and one academic one. Just explaining vocabulary takes ages!
Good luck with your endeavour, and really, don't be afraid to rely on a book. What the students really need is practice, explanations, and a feeling for what the test is really going to be like.

-Sharon in Winnipeg

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:18 am

Sharon (Pink Piggy) and Sally,

Thanks for the reply. I've been teaching HS in Japan for a few years, but it's very difficult to get vocabulary across to students, even high level ones. I've done some research into good methods, but I would like to know how you get it across, too, especially to reduce the "ages" that it takes.

My class (I've just learned) is supposed to be structured into 4 classes per week:
2 for reading
1 for listening
1 for grammar

I'm not worried about providing motivation to the kids. That's what the vice-principal said is my main job. Yeah, right. I'm only concerned that these are already high level kids (540 and 613 are their latest scores), and that they will probably not attend a foreign university. So, in my mind, that pretty much says they don't even need a TOEFL course, but this is the job I've been given, so I can't argue with it.

Any further ideas, people?

Pink Piggy

Reading vs. Vocabulary

Post by Pink Piggy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:42 pm

Would your boss notice if you changed one of the reading classes into a focussed vocabulary acquisition class?
As for the question of reducing vocabulary time, that leads to the question of how deeply you want the students to know the words. I often divide the vocabulary into words they should have in their passive vocabulary (words they need to recognize, but not necessarily use), and words they must know, and would benefit from knowing at a number of levels. (Do you need to know what I mean by this? I can post more on this topic if you'd like...I have a list of about seven things a student should know about a word they want to know 'deeply'.)
The Academic Wordlist published by the Univeristy of New Zealand has been useful for me.
I also spend time teaching students strategies for acquring and retaining vocabulary. I feel that vocabulary development is pretty central to teaching TOEFL because there is always so much unfamiliar vocabulary, even if you do have advanced students.
- Sharon

ps. No essay writing?

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:50 am

Would your boss notice if you changed one of the reading classes into a focussed vocabulary acquisition class?
Nobody looks over my shoulder on this one. The other 99% of the kids in this high school get their TOEFL classes from a Japanese teacher, and I'm not in touch with him or his methods (which usually bore the socks off everyone). So, I don't think anyone would really notice nor care what I did with the reading class, and I was thinking of adding some vocabulary activities to the reading or grammar section anyway.
I often divide the vocabulary into words they should have in their passive vocabulary (words they need to recognize, but not necessarily use), and words they must know, and would benefit from knowing at a number of levels. (Do you need to know what I mean by this? I can post more on this topic if you'd like...I have a list of about seven things a student should know about a word they want to know 'deeply'.)
Yes, please post more. Meanwhile, I was going to see what the TOEFL reference texts I've found have to offer in terms of what vocabulary they suggest would be useful.
ps. No essay writing?
As usual, I get my guidance on classes too late. Yes, there will be essay writing, but I just haven't figured out how to structure it or which of the 4 sections will have it. Probably grammar section. Any advice?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

Pink Piggy

Post by Pink Piggy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:31 am

Knowing a Word Deeply

Like I said, it is not always necessary to know a word deeply. Passive understanding is often enough. Sometimes even just having a vague sense of the word gained through context will get a student through TOEFL reading (I practice guessing words from context). However, there are words it is useful to know deeply.

I get my students to teach a word-a-day, choosing from the Academic Wordlist published by the U of New Zealand.
Here's what they must know and present about...

1) The literal meaning of the word (Denotation)
2) Figurative meanings the word many have
3) Connotational meaning (Does it feel negative? positive? critical? neutral? ambiguous? sarcastic?)
4) The part of speech, and related words in different parts of speech. (Does the word have a verb form? An adjective form?)
5) The appropriateness of the word its register (Is it appropriate for academic use? Conversational use? Is it a culturally specific word, or more general English?)
6) Grammar. How do you use it in a sentence? (e.g. If it's a verb does it have a regular or irregular past participle?)
7) Pronunciation.
8) Collocations. What words normally go with this word? Does it have specific prepositions it takes? If it is a noun, are there verbs that usually go with the noun?
9) Idioms. Are there idioms that contain this word?
10) Synonyms and Antonyms.

Then I make them use it in a sentence! Whew!

If you'd like examples, let me know! For now I've got to go!
Thanks, and good luck.
-Sharon in Winnipeg