TEFL Schools

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sawman

TEFL Schools

Post by sawman » Mon May 19, 2003 2:41 am

I am interested in obtaining a TEFL certificate in Thailand. Please (anybody) provide feedback about the following schools:

English and Computer College
TEFL International
TEXT-AND-TALK

Thank you.

Cory1111

TEFL International

Post by Cory1111 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:49 am

hi,

i'm sorry i'm not writing in direct response to your post, but am wondering if you have found out anything about TEFL International. i have also been trying to get opinions on their quality and credibility. please respond if you have heard anything and i will do the same for you. i'm also wondering about The Language House. thanks!

Cory1111

new tefl intl. info

Post by Cory1111 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:35 am

here's a link to a thread i found about tefl international on another site:

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin ... es;read=14

hope this is helpful. i don't know what to think anymore - a lot of conflicting information out there!

orlandoiam

TEFL in Thailand

Post by orlandoiam » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:39 pm

In response to you question about the courses in Thailand.

I took the CELTA course at ECC in Thailand. This was basically my first experience within the TEFL/TESL field. I had never taught before and was previously a librarian in the States (in other words-an introvert).

I found the CELTA course very helpful. Although it's a month of mild hysterics (trying to prepare a lesson every other day...when you've never done it before can be quite painful...) I found it fascinating to learn about different theories of listening/speaking/reading/writing. These topics were all just brushed upon-- (as I think it is assumed that most teacher's are newbies) and the main focus was on different practical ways to teach the four.

If you've never taught before the course is a means to receive practical experience and a place to fall down on your face in front of your peers and instructors who will either keep tearing you apart or give you pleasant and hopefully helpful advice to ensure it doesn't happen again.

There were also people who had taught for several years in various places throughout Asia. They too found the course helpful, and seemed to be trying to find different ways to make the lesson less teacher focused and more student centered.

I also found the instructors to be very put together and knowledgeable in teaching teachers the art of teaching. Near the end of the course they gave us various contact organizations, websites and a slight hand in trying to get jobs.

Several teachers at my school in Thailand took the "island" course... I forget the name.... They seem to be lovely teachers and they said they enjoyed their course quite a bit. So I am not biased against that one...I just don't have any advice for it.

One more small point, although it was not necessary to have the CELTA degree to get hired at my current school, it has certainly made me feel more comfortable to have a well known certificate.

I suppose though if you were to come to Thailand-- your main choice might not be so much between the schools. But rather, between the locations. Where would you rather study for a month or so: Bangkok or a beach?

And then...where do you plan on teaching? If you're coming alone, would it be helpful for you to sort of acquire a taste of Bangkok while you're surrounded by a set of peers? Or are you someone who dislikes the city and might find the beach a pleasant and relaxed place for learning...etc. etc...

Good luck! Also-- I think if you do a search on this site you will find many threads containing this discussion.

You can also go to Ajarn.com (which is a Thailand centered teacher/expat site) Ajarn--translates to teacher/professor. This too can very helpful...

Head Master

Post by Head Master » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Check out www.TEFLofCanada.com for a quality course in Bordeaux, France