Too old to teach??????

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

helenbu

Too old to teach??????

Post by helenbu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:23 am

I'm thinking of taking a TEFL course; my aim would be to try for teaching posts in Spain. I've spent a bit of time in the country, & am aware that for a lot of posts (not necessarily teaching ones), employers specify upper age limits, usually 35, sometimes much younger. I'm 48. Is there anyone out there my age or older, who can advise? I don't want to spend the money on the course if there's not a snowball's chance of a job at the end............
cheers,
Helen.

kathym

Too old to teach?

Post by kathym » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:59 am

I taught in China two years ago when I was 58. Employers will value teaching background and experience, regardless of age. Other career background may be relevant if one is not a teacher. The importance of age and experience will also vary by the demand for teachers in the country you want to go to. My teaching English methodology course was over 30 yrs ago, as was my direct experience.

My question to follow up on this is how to evaluate TEFL training for teachers. Are there good programs and poor ones, or does a certificate carry weight in hiring regardless of where one studies? I am not able to find a forum with this information. Thanks, Kathy M

strider

Post by strider » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:26 am

When I did my TESOL coursesome years ago in London, there was a fellow trainee who was a lady in her late forties. Out of all of us, she had the best contact with her students and also had the least difficulty translating teaching theory into classroom practice.

Do you have experience of teaching? (Perhaps in non-ESL contexts?) What professional experience do you have in other areas? In my experience, many language schools value work experience - after all, who can teach nurses better than someone who has worked in a hospital, for example?

Why not 'put your toes in the water' so to speak before you invest in a training course. You could do a bit of research on this board in order to get some lessons together then try to pick up a few hours. It will give you a much clearer idea of what the long-term possibilities are and whether the investment in a teaching certificate will pay for itself.

Rawgreenpower
Location: South Korea, Montreal,Ottawa,San Francisco, Washington DC, Dar es Salaam, Caribbean.

Hi helen

Post by Rawgreenpower » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:23 am

I am 56
and the age does not seem to be a problem at all --

So the certficate will come in handy!