How to Obtain TOEFL NOT TEFL Training

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

VoxiBurchenau

How to Obtain TOEFL NOT TEFL Training

Post by VoxiBurchenau » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:16 am

I'm a TEFL teacher in Istanbul and am interested in becoming qulified to teach TOEFL. Is there a course? Examination? Certification? Who? Which? Where? If this is a duplicate post please direct me to the correct threads, I haven't been able to locate anything here.

Thank you

You can also PM me

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 am

There are two ways I know of. Register at the ETS website and register for a "toefl service." Several business are offering (probably subcontracted by ETS) "official" TOEFL training.

Another way is to work for the PrincetonReview. They have a very good training program and method for the TOEFL, although I'm not sure if they have a good system yet to beat the IBT.

However, it's not that hard to do it once you get started. Imho, get the Delta prep book, as it divides chapters by skill, and do skill-building with your students. The grammar section is much harder but any prep book gives good grammar explanations.

VoxiBurchenau

Post by VoxiBurchenau » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks a lot for the advice............

toeflsmeagle

Post by toeflsmeagle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:15 pm

I got this book! It's a great resource. It's published by ETS, has sample activities, a CD-ROM, examples of student work and how they were scored, and some helpful advice. I recommend the book. I've used some things from there, and hope to use more. It's based on and used by people at ETS iBT TOEFL workshops used throughout the world.

Anyway, here's the official title, followed by the link to get it.

Next Generation TOEFL Teacher Professional Development Workshop Manual ($50.00 US)

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MA ... CACHE_ID=0