getting students to talk

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

leenie

getting students to talk

Post by leenie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:13 pm

I have a group of 3rd year university students who have to take courses in Englsih. They are very unmotivated, and unresponsive. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

keith

Post by keith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:30 am

Hi Leenie

Could you tell us what materials you are using with the students? Do you have to follow a certain course of study? And what are the students' objectives?

Keith
http://www.eslbase.com

strider

Post by strider » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:20 am

Hello Leenie,

I notice that your location is France - I take it you're teaching in a French University?

I agree you have a real challenge here, mainly because the students don't want to be bothered to speak in English when everyone speaks French.

Maybe you need a 'carrot and stick' approach - find something that they're interested in and get some materials that relate to that (video, articles, etc). If that doesn't work, then it's time to start putting them in situations where they realize that they need to improve (e.g., mock tests, simulations of job interviews in English, meeting/discussing with a customer, etc)

I just noticed that you posted a month ago - how is it going now?