Native Speaker TOEFL iBT Score

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Ed Provencher

Native Speaker TOEFL iBT Score

Post by Ed Provencher » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I took the TOEFL iBT on June 30th. I'm a native speaker of English from the US. I took the test so I could have a better understanding of what I will be teaching over the next two years.

23 Reading
27 Listening
28 Speaking
27 Writing

105 Total Score

I'm not happy with the overall score and I'm pretty embarrassed by the Reading score of 23.

I want to blame not knowing anything 'about' the test for my imperfect scores. But that may just be an ego defense.

In any event, I'm very motivated now to learn about the test and about what the scorers are looking for. If I can't get a 115 or higher, I don't think I should be teaching this test.

EnglishRaven

Post by EnglishRaven » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:44 am

What an outstanding attitude to teaching, Ed! I really admire your perspective. I'm a TOEFL instructor as well, and I regularly take practice tests applying the same conditions and time limits as the original test, to keep myself sharp when it comes to teaching and to understand what my students may experience.

Considering the very specialized nature of the test, I think your score is excellent. They are looking for specific formats in the speaking and writing in particular, so for you to "wing it" and get those scores says quite a lot. I think ETS would be happy as well, as in some ways your scores in the productive sections would appear to validate their test items and assessment rubrics.

I'd love to have your involvement on my specialized forum, which includes free practice speaking and writing tasks for students to try out: http://global-english.lefora.com

In return for your participation, I'd be happy to share TOEFL materials and teaching tips. I could also assist you in setting up your own online teaching program to earn money for your work. If you join the forum at the link above, you can PM me there and we can get some collaboration going.

Best wishes,

~ Jason