MA in TESOL

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sgswangstu

MA in TESOL

Post by Sgswangstu » Fri May 08, 2009 2:06 am

I am thinking about going to graduate school in the fall to obtain my MA in TESOL. I have seen a few online schools that offer a degree and I am wondering how people around the world view online degrees. I myself don't feel that it would be looked very highly upon. I mean, taking a few online courses is one thing, but getting your whole degree online doesn't seem all that great. I don't know if this is just my opinion. Are there good online graduate schools?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri May 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I recommend Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada. You can take online courses and courses at the campus to suite your needs. One of the best things about courses is that you meet other teachers and professors and can keep up with them over the years to talk about your experiences and keep up-to-date on ideas and theories. This happens in online courses or face to face but I have found the face to face friendships last longer somehow. I would imagine that face to face is also important to the professors when they think about who to recommend for a job but I don't know for sure.

Sgswangstu

Post by Sgswangstu » Fri May 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for the advise Sally. I guess that is the best advantage of a true University. You get your experience, but you also make friends and contacts with the professors. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Ralph Sabio

Re: MA in TESOL

Post by Ralph Sabio » Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 am

Sgswangstu wrote:I am thinking about going to graduate school in the fall to obtain my MA in TESOL. I have seen a few online schools that offer a degree and I am wondering how people around the world view online degrees. I myself don't feel that it would be looked very highly upon. I mean, taking a few online courses is one thing, but getting your whole degree online doesn't seem all that great. I don't know if this is just my opinion. Are there good online graduate schools?
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtop ... ght=master

Here is a post I wrote about Shenandoah University. I hope this helps you.