Youtube: a quick video library available anytime

<b> Forum on how to use video in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MikeV

Youtube: a quick video library available anytime

Post by MikeV » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Youtube is known from most of the students nowadays. Of course, we know that most of them will not necessarily watch useful videos for their English culture and knowledge. However, as teachers, we can make good use of youtube by finding both interesting and entertaining videos that can motivate students to learn more about specific topics. For instance, if we have an unit on jobs to give, finding videos on "Odd jobs" can be quite simple and very interesting for students. We have almost unlimited choices on youtube. Therefore, why not taking advantage of it during class, for both our students and for us?

Emhan3

Post by Emhan3 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:00 am

I also think that Youtube is a gold mine for interesting and entertaining videos that can motivate students to learn about certain topics. Youtube videos can serve as trigger activities that aim to introduce a topic. During my practicum, one of the teachers I observed showed a video about a young man who learned to play piano with his feet because he lost his arms in order to start a discussion about dreams and perseverance. Then, my teacher used Youtube video to show students how to draw a dragon because she was doing an LES about dragons with her students. I will definitely use Youtube as a source to provide my students more interesting content in order to motivate them to learn and also show them that learning can be fun.

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 pm

There are also videos strictly for learning. you can find English vocabulary videos , grammar videos, and teaching videos with model lesson plans, tips for the classroom and activities.

longshikong

Re: Youtube: a quick video library available anytime

Post by longshikong » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:46 am

MikeV wrote:Youtube is known from most of the students nowadays. Of course, we know that most of them will not necessarily watch useful videos for their English culture and knowledge. However, as teachers, we can make good use of youtube by finding both interesting and entertaining videos that can motivate students to learn more about specific topics. For instance, if we have an unit on jobs to give, finding videos on "Odd jobs" can be quite simple and very interesting for students. We have almost unlimited choices on youtube. Therefore, why not taking advantage of it during class, for both our students and for us?
The trouble is in the 'finding'. Sorting through all the crap to find something of value, even among ELT produced videos is a task itself. I've already written about Longman's video dictionary--do students really need to watch a 30 second clip to connect a word with it's meaning--what's the point?, This is where conventional teaching trumps technology but if you're purpose is simply to entertain your students rather than engage them in language practice then youtube will do that.

kirstindijon

Post by kirstindijon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't often take videos directly from YouTube, for the reasons you've mentioned. Sometimes it's even impossible to find good videos if you know exactly what you're looking for. I definitely wouldn't use a video to explain a vocabulary item, but more to stimulate discussion on something that has been introduced earlier. A point I would like to add is that a short video is a good video. Authentic materials are generally vocabulary-heavy, and students will need guidance to follow (rather than be overwhelmed by) video.

An excellent website is : http://bigthink.com/ - Here you can find business-focussed video (and text) as well as video on various topic areas.