INTERESTING VIDEOS

<b> Forum on how to use video in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

claire73

INTERESTING VIDEOS

Post by claire73 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Hi,
I need to get some videos for teaching both general and business English, elementary to intermediate. Any suggestions? I'm particularly interested in functional English, i.e. short dialogues showing realistic everyday situations. THanks.

Showem

Post by Showem » Sat May 03, 2003 4:14 pm

For functional language, why not use clips from films and TV instead? I know that Wall Street has a good clip for presentation language with Michael Douglas in front of the shareholders. I haven't used it yet, but I think for introductions, the scene in Bridget Jones' Diary with Bridget and Mark Darcy at the book launch would be brilliant.

acain

using video in esl classes

Post by acain » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:06 pm

I've found that using different materials always enriches my classes, whether it be video, music, alternative readings, etc. I don't think we need to rely only on "traditional" materials, i.e. dry videos that do very little to interest students beyond being used as learning tools. I agree that clips from movies can be worthwhile in class. Why not use rich sources to expose students to culture and ideas while they are learning to write or speak English?

strider

Post by strider » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:08 am

I think this was a topic that was covered on the old discussion board (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away...)

If I remember well, many people said that Mr Bean is the answer. I find I often use my Mr Bean video, because he is often shown in everyday situations. I can freeze the video and elicit vocab, I can do exercises where the students try to predict the outcome, I can split up the students and show bits of a sketch to different groups as a kind of visual jig-saw exercise, the possibilities are endless. And they're funny!

The only trouble is, I can no longer wear my tweed jacket because I get called 'Mr Bean' if I do...

sethness1

Interesting videos

Post by sethness1 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:42 pm

I strongly recommend the video "Mr. Baseball", a hollywood movie about a baseball player who is traded to a team in Japan. Culture clash, comedy, romance.

1991, starring Tom Selleck and Takakura Ken.

The most interesting scene is the scene where Jack (Tom Selleck) is invited to his girlfriend's family's house for the first time. I use this scene is an exposure to cross-culture values.

Play the scene from the point when the car pulls into the family's driveway. Assign two teams: 1 team must identify AND CORRECT bad behavior based on Japanese values; the other team must identify AND CORRECT bad behaviour based on Western values. If there're 3 students, make the weakest student become a "switch hitter", who can contribute to either side of the discussion. Be sure that your students try to offer constructive advice, rather than simply identifying bad behavior.

Before beginning, explain some target vocabulary:
"That won't fly/ that won't wash / that won't do"
"That's accepted behavior. That's OK."
"self-introduction"
"slurp"
"sitting with legs crossed" is not equal to "sitting cross-legged".
"sitting indian-style" is equal to "sitting cross-legged"
"sitting with legs folded under you"
"kneel"
"Please please, if you're able, keep your elbows off the table !"
"Give someone the cold shoulder", an idiom based on the old practice of hosts giving their guests "the cold shoulder" (of stringy beef) for breakfast, when the guest has worn out his welcome.
"Sarcasm", a very common form of humor in English, which is largely absent from Japanese culture
"sourpuss"
"a card" (a humerous person)
"whoa" (=wait a minute)
"sly guy / sly fox"
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Prepare the students by telling them, "Jack is meeting his girlfriend's parents for the first time. It's a formal event. Jack is an American baseball player, on a Japanese baseball team. His manager is Takakura Ken. The manager doesn't speak English, but Jack's girlfriend does."

Start the video. In the first few moments, your students should be able to identify at least 6 mistakes:
1) The car radio is still blasting while Tom and Hiroko pull into the driveway.
2) Jack uses large arm movements. In Western society, that's OK, but in Japan, it's considered threatening, sort of like Westerners would feel about in-your-face hand gestures, mock-punches, or standing too close to someone.
3) Jack wears sunglasses. It's cold & unfriendly.
4) Jack's jacket is unbuttoned. In Western sodiety, that's OK, but in Japanese society, it's too lax.
5) Hiroko brings a gift to the house, but Jack doesn't.
6) Jack has his hand in his pocket. That won't fly, during a Japanese intruduction.
7) Jack's suit is badly wrinkled.
8) Jack is chewing gum, and takes it out of his mouth while Hiroko's relatives are watching.

9) From a Western perspective, the grandparents are too unfriendly. Instead of a warm greeting and loads of smiles, the granparents are sourpusses.

10) from a Western perspective, Hiroko's introduction of Jack is lacking. Aside from saying "Jack, these are my grandparents...Grandpa, grandma, this is my friend Jack", Western society would insist that she, the mutual friend, should include some mention of their common interests to help them break the ice and form a friendship: "Jack, my grandpa is a big fan of baseball. Grandpa, Jack loves flyfishing, just like you."

11) from a Japanese perspective, Jack should introduce himself. Instead, Hiroko introduces him.

12) Takakura Ken admits that he speaks English. During working hours, Ken doesn't speak English. Is this OK ?

13) Hiroko says, "Jack, I didn't tell you that my father is your manager. I did this for YOU." Do your students agree with Hiroko ? Is this a kindness ?

---------
The dinner scene begins.

14) Jack's knee is up. This won't fly, in Japan. Ask your students to explain how to sit properly in Japan.

15) The family slurps noodles. In Western society, eating must be as silent as possible, but in Japan, audibly slurping noodles and hot liquids is acceptable. It's particularly common amongst older men. In China, eating loudly is a sign of enjoyment; silent eating is a sign that the food tastes bad. In Arabia, loud belching is a sign of contentment. Have students discuss several cultures' attitudes toward making sound while eating.

Later in the same scene, Jack will overdo the slurping of noodles, and slurp as he drinks sake'.

16) The Japanese people raise their bowls while eating. Jack keeps his bowl and plate on the table. These contrasting customs are firmly embedded in both societies.

17) They talk while eating. That's acceptable in Japan, but in Germany, people talk AFTER eating. Make students discuss how this is acceptable or unacceptable in several cultures.

18) Jack uses his chopsticks UNDERHAND. Is that OK ?
Explain how European silverware has evolved, especially SOPS and the late addition of the FORK, which was initially considered rather vulgar. If you have time, you might go into the details of desert forks, salad forks, dinner forks, soup spoons, teaspoons, and tablespoons.

19) Jack sits with both knees up, and his arms locked under his legs. Japanese students will call this "gym-class style" sitting.

20) Jack sticks his chopsticks into his rice, and leaves them standing there. In Japan, this is a big no-no, because it closely resembles the incense sticks placed in offerings during funerals and wakes. Make your students explain all this, and offer advice to "Jack".

21) Hiroko offers food to Jack, and puts it on his plate for him. This is OK in Japan, but in Western society might be a little patronizing, like when a mother offers to cut a child's steak into bitesize pieces for him.

22) Hiroko's father and boyfriend both expect Hiroko to pour sake for them, and Jack pouts when Hiroko serves her father first. Is this OK ? Introduce the language "big baby", "pout", and "give/get the cold shoulder".

23) Jack brushes Hiroko's offered sake aside, and pours himself a drink. Is this OK ?

...and so on.
This scene is quite a good conversation piece !