Do you videotape your students? When? Where?

<b> Forum on how to use video in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Do you videotape your students?

Yes.
43%
Yes, but only for final presentations.
29%
No, but I would like to try it.
29%

Total votes: 7

Eric18

Do you videotape your students? When? Where?

Post by Eric18 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:45 am

Sometimes seeing - and hearing - is believing.
Videotaping placement tests for ESL classes, especially in university programs, can prevent problems and add objectivity to a difficult task. Adding a camera to the interview process emphasizes the importance of the interview, documents the verbal exchange, and allows the testers to review the interview. Even better, the videotape can be shown to other instructors for feedback and evaluation. Best of all, students can be shown the videotape so they can better understand their placement.
Naturally, many students want to both “know the truth” about their English conversation skills.- and avoid additional ESL classes. Videotaping placement tests provides an effective way to both build confidence in the language testing process - and explain placement decisions. Students who watch themselves can gain a new perspective on their strengths and weaknesses as a verbal communicator in English. I’m very pleased that my university program has added videotaping to the testing process. Why wasn’t this done years ago?
During classes, I have videotaped mock job interviews and presentations for years. Students often find the videotapes fascinating. Posting the videotapes on course websites also allows students to view themselves at will, make transcripts, and literally see improvements in their speaking skills. Self-evaluations can help students learn from their “good mistakes.” Peer-evaluations provide additional feedback. I strongly recommend that language schools and ESL programs invest in this simple, yet powerful, technology.

shang_quanmei

Re: Do you videotape your students? When? Where?

Post by shang_quanmei » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 am

Eric18 wrote:Sometimes seeing - and hearing - is believing.
Videotaping placement tests for ESL classes, especially in university programs, can prevent problems and add objectivity to a difficult task. Adding a camera to the interview process emphasizes the importance of the interview, documents the verbal exchange, and allows the testers to review the interview. Even better, the videotape can be shown to other instructors for feedback and evaluation. Best of all, students can be shown the videotape so they can better understand their placement.
Naturally, many students want to both “know the truth” about their English conversation skills.- and avoid additional ESL classes. Videotaping placement tests provides an effective way to both build confidence in the language testing process - and explain placement decisions. Students who watch themselves can gain a new perspective on their strengths and weaknesses as a verbal communicator in English. I’m very pleased that my university program has added videotaping to the testing process. Why wasn’t this done years ago?
During classes, I have videotaped mock job interviews and presentations for years. Students often find the videotapes fascinating. Posting the videotapes on course websites also allows students to view themselves at will, make transcripts, and literally see improvements in their speaking skills. Self-evaluations can help students learn from their “good mistakes.” Peer-evaluations provide additional feedback. I strongly recommend that language schools and ESL programs invest in this simple, yet powerful, technology.