Facebook debate

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

JackieJ

Facebook debate

Post by JackieJ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi all;
Does anyone have any good ideas for a debate on facebook, and how I should title it? I know almost everyone uses facebook and I was wondering what would be a good debate title and how to make it more interesting for teenagers as well.
Thanks;

Jackie

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Should children under six be allowed in restaurants? That is the big debate on radio these days in Canada and has a huge and vociferous following.

Should Rupert Murdoch be allowed to own so much media in the UK or anyone be allowed to do this anywhere?

Is Kate losing too much weight like Diana did before her?

Should (country of your choice) be in (or out) of Afghanistan?

Just look up the latest headline on CBC or BBC and you have your debate.

JackieJ

Post by JackieJ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks. All of those are great ideas. I was thinking perhaps " Is facebook a waste of time?" or "Is facebook intefering with our lives" ....or the such.

I am just making sure if I would get any students that do agree with this, as most are very active facebook users.

Jackie

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

Yes, there was a good debate last night on CBC Cross Country Check Up and they talked about what Facebook is doing with the data you put in, especially with the things you put in messages. They mine the data and give it to advertisers. That is why the ads at the side are specifically for you - I get ads for retirement homes for example and things going on in Ottawa that old ladies would be interested in and ads related to my particular kind of car.

What about the Vancouver riots and people posting pictures and even names? Do they think that is good?

Do they know how to personalize their Facebook page? I can get into several people's Facebook pages just because I am friends with someone else they know. Did they know you could do that?

Do they know all the people who are their friends? or do they accept people as friends because they are playing games and need support to win the game?

Are they giving up their friend's names to advertisers so they can win something? How do they feel about that if the friends do it to them on something they don't want or like or agree with?

There were a lot of other topics. The main advice was to change your password often and make it hard and to never talk to someone you don't know and give them any data.

JackieJ

Post by JackieJ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Thans for the ideas. All are great!