English for travel intensive class

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bjacquin

English for travel intensive class

Post by bjacquin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:13 pm

I am going to teach this class for adults who are retirement age and like to travel. I have already collected documents, forms, photos and other material and am drawing up an outline for the class. Has anybody else done a travel intensive before? I'd love to have ideas from anyone. Thanks.
Barbara :lol:

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes, I did one for the teachers in my school. They wanted to know how to behave at a restaurant and what would happen so I did a fast-food set up and a fancier restaruant with tables and waiters, bills, tips, menus - you can get them off the Internet. They also wanted demonstrations on what to do on a bus, train, plane, at the airport, train station, bus station. I got my friend to bring me tickets (you can get a pile in the garbage cans) and played the ticket agents, the magazine vendor, the tikect takers, rude passengers, and had them ask for directions and so on. It is fun and they can take over the roles after awhile. Telephone calls to various agencies and institutions was fun as well. Berlitz books have a good starting point with vocabulary. "Where is the bathroom?" was always my first lesson and what to do in there in varioI usedus countries.
I used to give them basic lessons in swear words so they would know if someone was mad and teach them "Freeze" or "Hands Up" for police situations. I got maps of places they wanted to visit and we plotted out routes from the B&B or Youth Hostel to various sights. Now you can find that all on Google maps with bus routes and such.

Be sure to mention the side of the road people drive on if it is different - so many people have been hurt looking the wrong way while crossing.
Safety is another issue and what they can do to keep themselves and their belongings safe. Dealing with sticky situations as well. There are some great books on cultural taboos for travelers. Don't pat children on the head in Thailand, don't cross your fingers wishing for something in France, if you step on someone's foot in Mongolia shake their hand to give them their Karma back, and never step on a manhole cover in UB.