Difficulties and problems in learning English

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kennen

Difficulties and problems in learning English

Post by Kennen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Different students can have different difficulties and problems in learning English. They can make different mistakes in English pronunciation, grammar, orthography and vocabulary usage.
There is a connection between the native language of a learner and particular difficulties in learning and using English and the kind of mistakes a learner typically makes in English pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary as there is native language interference in learning and using English.
Listening comprehension and speaking in English are the skills generally more frequently used than reading and writing in daily living in an English speaking country. Listening comprehension and speaking in English are more difficult and more important for learners to master than reading and writing. When reading and writing a text a learner has more time for thinking and pauses than when listening and speaking in English in daily living.
A learner can also look up unknown vocabulary in English dictionaries and use other English reference books when reading and writing a text in English which is impossible when listening and speaking in English. Therefore listening comprehension and speaking in English are more difficult than reading and writing.
English vocabulary for daily living requires more time and is more difficult to master by foreign learners than English grammar. One of my articles in this forum describes difficulties in learning English vocabulary.
I highly recommend that learners read the reference book titled Practical English Usage by Michael Swan to reduce making mistakes in English.

Kennen

Practical English Usage

Post by Kennen » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:37 pm

The reference book Practical English Usage by Michael Swan contains short clear articles on all the grammatical problems which regularly cause difficulty to foreign learners. In addition, it deals with selected points of vocabulary, idiom, style, pronunciation and spelling. The main differences between British and American usage are also dealt with. At the end of the book there is an alphabetical index of all the articles (entries) that are also arranged alphabetically in the book so that a learner or a teacher of English can easily find the topic or the word that present a problem for them. The book is intended for intermediate and advanced students, and for teachers of English.
It is the most useful and comprehensive English reference book for foreign learners of English. No other book or online materials can match this book in terms of useful and comprehensive content.

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 pm

It's not just L1 that interferes in L2 acquisition, but personality as well. I remember teaching a Taiwanese girl with immaculate pronunciation, good vocabulary but atrocious grammar. I read something about syntax vs vocabulary once and how personality affects this but I just don't remember the source.