Advice on addressing one slow student?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Litz

Advice on addressing one slow student?

Post by Litz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Greetings! I teach an introductory adult ESL course, a very small class -- only four students. One of my students is older than the rest and is having a lot of trouble grasping even the most basic material. The others are doing well. With each class she falls further behind and I can sense her frustration, as well as the frustration of the other students who are being held behind. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with one slow student? I can put the other three students on an activity and work with her one-on-one occasionally, but I can't do that with every activity and every lesson. I feel like I have limited options because my class is so small.

Also, we have a strict no-English policy in the classroom and she tends to ask her fellow students for help in Spanish. So I'm reluctant to put her with another student for peer instruction.

What do you advise?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Have you tried taping the class so she can review everything you do? Video would be better if the others agree.

Litz

Post by Litz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Let me think about that one ... don't know if she has a way to watch a recording. But in giving it some thought I do think part of her problem is that she needs to be watching me, not taking notes. I need to have everyone clear their desks and watch me for the lesson, and let them take their notes later.

colmack2

Post by colmack2 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:36 pm

"No-English" policy? Surely you mean "English only?"
Try to get the three faster students on-side with you (outside the classroom). Explain your dilemma, that you want everyone in the class to succeed, and ask for their help in encouraging the slower learner, for example, ask them to each:
- offer one piece of praise to the slow student per lesson
- offer one piece of practical help per lesson to that student
Point out that one of the best ways of learning / improving skills is to teach others.
You could perhaps offer a suitable reward (bribe!) for the student you observe being the most help to the less able one.

longshikong

Re: Advice on addressing one slow student?

Post by longshikong » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Litz wrote:...an introductory adult ESL course
Is it really an 'introductory' course? How 'false' a beginner is---the level previously attained---can dramatically affect their rate of re-attainment.

If you've done a needs assessment, do their goals differ? Those needing English for employment prospects will be much more motivated than those requiring English for 'survival' purposes, i.e.: shopping, banking, etc.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Does she have a computer ? You can lend her use yours and download all sorts of things for her to do and listen to while you work with the others.