In need of advice...

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

m_huque

In need of advice...

Post by m_huque » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:31 am

I'm currently a University student and have recently decided to change my field of study. I hope to teach English abroad, however I wanted to get some advice as to which background is preferred by overseas employers. Which is more advantageous, a degree in English or Linguistics?

winterlynx1

Post by winterlynx1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:09 am

Personally, I don't think it matters a great deal between those two degrees. Provided you have a comprehensive education related to the field, get yourself good experience and get yourself published - I don't thing the field that your degree is granted in should matter a great deal.

Macavity

Post by Macavity » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35 pm

I think that depends on whether your potential employers want you to be able to say how the car works (linguistics), or that you should be able to drive the car (English). Either way, you need to be in the driving seat - so decide for yourself in which of these two areas your strengths lie and just go on from there. Both are good!

kungzoo

Post by kungzoo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:48 pm

All depends on WHERE you will want to work. In many countries, it doesn't actually matter what your major is. You can get reasonable teaching jobs without any special qualifications. I would at least recommend a basic teaching certificate such as TESOL, though.

As you move up the ladder, an MA in linguistics or TESOL can be worthwhile to securing better postions. Alternatively, some countries like their ESL teachers to be certified, so a BEd, or a PGCE could be more advantageous. But, I would agree that the difference between an English major and a linguistics major is not differentiated by most employers.