New to ESL....HELP!!!

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

AScott

New to ESL....HELP!!!

Post by AScott » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 am

I have only been teaching ESL for about 6 months....loving it, but I find myself "winging it" a lot! I'm so greatful to have come across this website and forum. Thank you, thank you!!!

My problem....I have a multi-leveled class with many different nations represented. I have a couple of Spanish speaking students who are not literate in their native tongue. First question....any suggestions on how to teach them English vocabulary so that they will remember it (keep in mind, they can't write or read the translation in their native language), and second ...how do I effectively teach them while I'm trying to teach the rest of the class????

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

EH

Post by EH » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:43 pm

First of all, give yourself a pat on the back. It doesn't get much harder than a multilevel, multinational class with some literate and some illiterate students. If you're surviving at all you must be doing something right!

You didn't mention how many students you have... Ideally, you would find a topic for each day that all the students need to work on. This might be a thematic thing like "going to the bank", "asking for help at a store", or "going to a party at a native-English speaker's house". Or it might be a common pronunciation problem, or a grammar structure that everyone seems to have equal trouble with. So you pick your topic for the day, do a little intro to the whole class (writing on the board, using pictures, acting out scenes, etc.), then divide the class into groups so they can work on the topic at their own pace. You might have separate vocabulary lists for separate groups. Or separate group assignments altogether, depending on their level.

As for the students who can't read: that's especially tough. It will probably never be as easy for them to remember/study new words as it is for the other students. If they can afford it, you might recommend that they bring tape recorders to class instead of taking notes. You could also recommend that they get together with a classmate who does read to study together outside of class. Definitely use lots of visual aids and role plays to make the language come alive without written words. And don't be afraid to include basic spelling lessons in your pronunication lessons--the two topics go together well.

Good luck!
-EH

AScott

Post by AScott » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:19 pm

EH,

Thanks for the great ideas!

Right now, I have between 5 to 7 students. I teach thru a technical college and classes just recently resumed. I anticipate my class doubling and hopefully tripling once the public schools are back in session. My classroom will hold up to 18 comfortably. The majority of my students are stay at home moms who will come back once their children are back in school.

It's been a challenge. We have an open enrollment policy which tends to throw a wrench into my day when I get new students....having to stop and assess their proficiency level, needs, goals.... I have each student set up with "independent" work when such a situation arisies, but it's still tough.

Fortunately, I have the flexibility to level my classes, but I need the students in order to do that. I'm hoping to be able to do it in early August.

Any textbook suggestions???? I am currently using Reading for Today and its workbook and then I get a lot of my teaching materials off the internet.

Thanks again for your expertise...I really appreciate it!

EH

Post by EH » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Aha! The students are moms. That helps you figure out what sort of topics would be especially relevant.

You could work on lessons like: pediatrician visits (and paperwork), parent-teacher conferences, oral reading of children's books (if they can read to their kids in any language it will help the kids so much!), what to say during fun/difficult play dates with native-English speaker friends, how to read nutrition labels on grocery items, how to read cookbooks, how to fill out daycare center forms, etc.

Obviously, not all moms are full time homemakers. But many are. And many are full time homemakers in addition to being full time wage earners (I'm a mom too... the jobs really pile up...) so they could probably still use help with topics like the above.

I don't know about textbooks. I've used Interchange with adults, because it's good for getting conversations going. But your students may need more of an individualized approach. I'm not sure one text will fit all. If I were you, I'd give them all English folders where they can keep their daily handouts, then just rely on handouts for each lesson. More work for you, yes...

Good luck!
-EH

kungzoo

Post by kungzoo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Kids or adults? (I assume adults cus of the forum, but another poster suggested otherwise.)
I think you could use flashcards with both kids and adults. Pictorial representations and realia (props) will be essential to communicate what each word means across multi-national and multi-level classes. You should write the vocabulary of each item clearly on the card and have a facility where you can store the cards so that each student can review them. Also get students to contribute to their own flashcard resource box. For those who are illiterate, they may need supplementary homework to just get themselves able to write letters and key words. Find a simple alphabet/phonics based workbook for them.

One free resource guide to prime new teachers for large multi-level classes published by the Peace Corps is here:
http://www.peacecorps.gov/library/pdf/M ... llarge.pdf

You can also check my resources site for links to vocab and flashcard material: http://esl-teaching-resources.blogspot.com