Board Games

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kadia

Board Games

Post by Kadia » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:11 pm

I am looking for ideas of board games to be used in adult ESL classes. The classes are small with 4-8 students typically in each, and they range in level from beginner to advanced, with some having a focus on English for business or tourism. The students are primarily working professionals from the public and private sector. Any ideas other than Scrabble?

juliar

Post by juliar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:49 pm

I teach both Middle school (in US) and adults, and I love the Discovery Trail Games, published by Pro Lingua - there is one board, but you can play 10+ games with it by just changing out the cards. (Grammar...US Civics...US Geography...World Geography, etc). It can be used for different levels of ESL, too. The actual game is very simple (so giving instructions isn't complicated). If the class is brand new, and not able to communicate w/ each other, try Jenga - not an English-learning game, but it can be played w/ Vietnamese, Spanish, German - whatever, and make them feel at ease w/ each other. I think playing games is a great way to learn!!