Students have no desire to study- how to teach (Japan)

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

senorwaq

Students have no desire to study- how to teach (Japan)

Post by senorwaq » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I just landed a job which is fairly light but it's a fairly large commitment of my time and I'm not interested in just working to get money.

The thing is none of these students are studying English by choice. It's a technical university and they are all required to take English courses. They are required to pass but the level is low and attendance is poor.

I'm trying to get myself in the right mindset before I start- I dont want to overinvest and feel like I'm wasting my time on the one hand, but on the other hand I want to try my best to motivate students to have a good time with English and maybe improve a little bit.

I'm also concerned they are very low level and I have never taught this many poeple at this low a level before. I'm not sure how I'll cope. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:33 pm

What do you want out of being in Japan? Get the students to help you achieve this - travel, learning about their land and culture, learning their language, meeting new friends? They have to explain things to you in English so they will get some practice as well and you will feel that your time in the class is well spent and will be enthusiastic.

You can frame this within a lesson plan of course with doing a little speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main thing is that you are learning and enjoying the country and the people.

They can point out local tourist sights and what they are famous for, where to buy the best or cheapest food, how to cook things you don't know about, what to do on your off hours, and on and on.

As long as you follow up with some "academic" work, for example, take in a written story about going to the local temple along with pictures and get them to do some grammar exercises or vocabulary exercises and then write a story themselves about another place following your example - with pictures if possible.

Remember they have had at least 5 years of English so are false beginners and will know more than you think or they will admit to.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi:

I think Sally, as usual, gives you some great advice. :D

I have a couple more ideas to add to the mix. One is to find out what their interests are and organize activities around that. When I was in Japan I had to teach at a college for bakers that may have been a similar situation, but I managed to find some things they were interested in (travel and cooking/baking, and others) and used English around these things.

Having them design their own skits/role plays and then act them out tends to work well, but only for a limited time as the novelty begins to wear off. (this can be done with even low beginners if you can help scaffold them and assist them with the language. Make sure they write it out and then you can correct it)

Another idea is to play games. I had great success -relatively speaking- with various quiz type games that require remembering vocabulary, responding to/asking questions, pronouncing words, dictating on the board with three teams and the fastest with the correct spelling and grammar wins. there are many.

Again, however, I feel Sally's advice is special to you in that it will help you to remain sane and make the best out of your situation!

ganbate!