Need help with conversational english.

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

VivianaLC

Need help with conversational english.

Post by VivianaLC » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:23 pm

I have 2 gentlemen (business professionals) who have advanced level of english, conversation wise. I teach them twice a week one hour lessons. Their previous teachers would use articles with them that they would read and discuss in class.

I would like to keep that up but not for every class. Any suggestions on what else I can do lessons on that is appropriate for a conversational class like this?

Any help would be great!

Also what can I do for the first class with a new student (also business professional, intermediate level, private lesson 1 hr)?

Thanks!

eslweb

A couple more ideas

Post by eslweb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:06 am

Here are some other ideas, but I don't know how appropriate they are:

1. Give them a business problem and then brainstorm solutions. I like to use mindmaps for this: http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/mindmaps.htm

2. You might want to teach them presentation skills:
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/PowerPoint.html

3. You might also want to use listening inputs, I have a few on my Website, but there are plenty more on the BBC Learning English site.
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/advanced/listening/

A lot of people use reading texts to stimulate conversation, particularly from newspapers, magazines and even good internet articles.

James

Heads Up English

Post by Heads Up English » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:35 am

Hi Vivian,

Articles are always good, so long as there is an objective. A lot of teachers hand out an article, read through it, answer some questions, and then have a chat. But there's so much more that can be done.

Have you tried predicting what the topic will be about based on a few keywords or the title? This helps students to activate any information they already may have on the topic.

Have you tried focusing on specific vocabulary for the article. Teach the words, practice using them, and then apply them in conversations about the article and topic?

Have you tried listening exercises based on the article, either focusing on specific grammar or language points, or just a general overview?

Have you tried building skimming and/or scanning exercises into the lesson?

Have you tried using role plays to practice new language?

These are only a few ideas that work well around an article. If you need ideas, take a look at my website, which is for advanced students. A lot of these ideas appear in my materials, but I would be happy to brainstorm additional activities with you.

Good luck!

Chris Cotter
Heads Up English - Materials based on current events. Just print, and teach!
www.headsupenglish.com

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:41 pm

All the business people I met in Japan wanted to be able to talk to foreign businessmen after work in social situations. They needed to understand slang and swearing and how to answer the questions business men asked about their culture - do you really have geisha and how far do they really go? What is the best thing to see in this area? Where do I get a good hamburger? My wife wants a kimono - where is the cheapest place to buy one? What happened during the war and how do you feel about it? Do you really work from 8 to 8 and then go out with the boss after work for a drink? How expensive is life in Japan? How much does a house cost or an apartment? Is there really something called key money? What do you do on holidays? How much time do you get off? Tell me about your family. Tell me about your education. Why do those men with white gloves push people onto the trains? How much is your money worth compared to ours? Do business men really have a mistress at lunch? How much does it cost to educate your children? Do business men really sleep in those little cubicles we have seen on TV? Do you really eat raw fish? What is in this dish we are eating? Do you really eat poisoness blowfish? Do you really eat rice all the time? Is is true that you have already reasearched our company and made up your minds about the contract before we came? That we don't have to sell you on our product but just get to know to you while we are here?

Just think of all the questions that you would like to ask them and then ask them and help them formulate answers and practice them so they are fluent. Of course, they will tell you questions that they have been asked as well.

The biggest problem for them is understanding the questions, especially in every day language so you can write the questions down for them and get them to translate them to their own language and get your native speaking colleagues to correct them. Be sure to use all English slang and swear words you know.

Of course, the questions will be different for you in Chile but I am sure you know the kinds of things English foreigners might ask.

Eric18

Use or develop conversation worksheets with questions

Post by Eric18 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 am

Business professionals tend to want a clear take-away from lessons. When I tutored executives in Los Angeles, I developed a set format for conversation lessons. I would use a quote to introduce a topic, list a dozen questions, write down 10 connected vocabulary words. On the backside of the worksheet, I would write down 5 quotations - witty and classical - on the topic to show a range of perspectives. Finally, I would add another group of follow-up questions. I had great success using this format.

Eventually, I organized my conversation lessons and expanded the worksheets into a book with 45 self-contained thematic chapters. Check it out at www.compellingconversations.com - there are several free chapters available on the website.

Like other folks, I also used articles - usually from USA Today for intermediate students and The Economist or The Christian Science Monitor for more advanced students. I gave them the article for homework, asked them to find the main idea, write 5 questions about the article, and write 5 sentences with new words or idioms. It was a fine start to begin the conversation class. I still used my worksheets to further explore the topic in greater depth.

Good luck - and get paid in advance!