Do you videotape your students? When? Where?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Do you videotape your adult ESL students?

Yes, but only for placement purposes.
No votes
Yes, but only for mock citizenship/job interviews.
No votes
No, but I would like to try it.
No votes
No, what's the point?
No votes

Total votes: 0

Eric18

Do you videotape your students? When? Where?

Post by Eric18 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:57 am

Sometimes seeing - and hearing - is believing.

Many university and IEP language courses include videotaping. It's a powerful, persuasive educational tool.

But few adult education programs videotape ESL students. I hope that changes soon.

Videotaping placement tests for ESL classes would be ideal, but it could also make an excellent graduation "gift" or exit exam.

Adding a camera to the exit interview process emphasizes the importance of the interview, documents the verbal exchange, and allows the student and teachers to review the interview. Even better, the videotape can be shown to other students and family members.

Naturally, many students want to both “know the truth” about their English conversation skills.- and avoid additional ESL classes. Videotaping placement and exit tests provides an effective way to both build confidence in the language testing process - and explain placement decisions. Students who watch themselves can gain a new perspective on their strengths and weaknesses as a verbal communicator in English. I’m very pleased that my university program has added videotaping to the testing process. Why wasn’t this done years ago?
During university ESL and EL/Civics classes, I have videotaped mock job interviews and presentations for years. Students often find the videotapes fascinating. Posting the videotapes on course websites also allows students to view themselves at will, make transcripts, and literally see improvements in their speaking skills. Self-evaluations can help students learn from their “good mistakes.” Peer-evaluations provide additional feedback. I strongly recommend that language schools and ESL programs invest in this simple, yet powerful, technology.

When will adult education schools start to include this powerful 20th century technology in their ESL programs?

Luke Zimmermann

mobile phones

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:49 am

We have used mobile phones for videoing for projects. The idea came when I found that my students often wanted to show me little video clips on their mobiles. I am in the UAE and my (male) students are crazy about car racing. I asked them to turn the clips into short presentations on the Smartboard and it grew from there.

Later on, I sent them out to video anything they were interested in and do a presentation on it. The variety of videos that came back was amazing: sightseeing for tourists, the family farm, students interviewing each other, a typical student day and so on. There was a lot of language in the videos and since these students were at a very low level - some beginners and some pre-intermediate - this was an excellent revision of all the basic language they had learnt. They were all very involved in this project.

Eric18

Inspiring

Post by Eric18 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Luke - That's a great example. I hadn't even considered using cell phone cameras, and almost all the students have cell phones. The fact they can go out, capture images, and create their own reports makes your assignment a wonderful review activity.

I may borrow your technique. Thanks for sharing!