Advanced Writing Lessons?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

teacherjuli

Advanced Writing Lessons?

Post by teacherjuli » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Hello,

I'm teaching Advanced Writing in a college continuing education program. This is my first time teaching students with advanced English skills who have academic backgrounds. I have only taught very basic English to low literacy students.

Can anyone recommend websites with lesson plans catered toward Advanced ESL Writing? I have to design all of the curriculum on my own and find it quite challenging. Also, any tips are extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sheila Collins

Post by Sheila Collins » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 pm

I have a student who requires advanced writing lessons, too, and finding resources is driving me nuts.

I have been having her try her hand at some structured writing: haiku, a "hamburger paragraph", etc. We have also been working on etymology and synonyms, and passive and active voice.

Every week we have a new topic of discussion, which introduces specific vocabulary and terminology. At the end of the week, she has to use the new words in context.

Other than that, I am relatively at a loss. I haven't found any good websites for advanced ESL writing.

Let me know if you find anything. Perhaps we can design a curriculum together, if only from trial and error. :)

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:11 pm

How about goggling some ESL Advanced Writing courses in colleges and universities. They usually put their curriculum on line.

Carleton University worked on the topic or theme idea as well. They would give the students an article on the theme of the week to read and discuss in small groups and then as a report to the larger group. Then they would read another article on the same theme which repeated vocabulary in a different way and take it apart to see how it was written focusing on some grammar point or organization point. Then they would write something with other students, edit, proof read, ask questions to clarify and so on, and finally write something on their own. As I remember the Disasters theme was the most popular.