How to activate adult students in speaking?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hh

How to activate adult students in speaking?

Post by hh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:29 am

Hi, my friends. I'm a new here. I'm teaching adult students English (intentive reading course ) in China. Although i've tried my best, I find it is very difficult to ask students to speak in class. Of course, they are silence even in their apeaking course. It seems that they only focus on reading, grammar, and reciting new words.
Do you have a good way to motivate them in speaking? :roll:

Rp

Cultivate Speaking

Post by Rp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm

Hello HH:

I have heard that China likes to focus its English instruction on reading and writing.

Question for you, in your sessions do you choose the curriculum or is it "canned".

I am assuming you have adult learners, in many cases the adult learner likes to be apart of the delivery design. Maybe you should have a discussion on the lesson format for the speaking component.

Sometimes, getting them "chatty" as a group helps...try crafts and art work and have the discussion only in English

hh

Post by hh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 am

Hello, Rp, thank you for your advice.I'll try them next week.
By the way, I choose the curriculam and the textbook myself.

ezteacher

Post by ezteacher » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 pm

HH,
I'm new too, but I noticed your posting/question and may I offer a tip?
In some cultures it is considered impolite or impertinant to speak up in
class, since the student doing so may be deemed to be questioning the teacher. I tried a little trick once in an acoounting class I gave to a class of mostly new arrivals to Canada who were supposed to speak English, but were extremely shy. When I realized why the learners were not asking questions if they had any problems, I started one particular class with a a stretching exercise; that is, I had everyone in the class raise their hand, hold it high, "grab a cloud", and repeat after me, "Please, teacher, I don't understand".
From then on, if anyone had trouble with the subject matter being taught,
they asked me.
Over and Out,
ezteacher

Eric18

Focus on Student Interests

Post by Eric18 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 am

Learn as much as possible about your students.

One simple technique is to ask a question on the daily attendance sheet:
What's your favorite movie?
Share a favorite English word.
Who is your favorite singer?
What is your favorite website?
Where would you like to visit?
What's the best book you ever read?
Why do you want to learn English?

Students give a chance to express themselves and learn about each other while revealing personal preferences and tastes. Naturally, you can modify instruction to match student interests in the assignments.

Basically, my philosophy is tailor your class as much as possible to match student needs, ambitions, and concerns.

Here's a conversation lesson that I developed for advanced students called "Being Yourself."
http://www.compellingconversations.com/ ... urself.pdf

Try it. You might like it.