Negative and Unmotivated Student

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Elke

Negative and Unmotivated Student

Post by Elke » Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 am

How do you motivate a student (adult) who has been sent to class by his company and doesn't want to learn - the threat from his company that he could lose his job (which he knows he won't) if he doesn't study has no effect - he is a negative, disruptive student who acts like a child (55 years old) - he doesn't turn in his homework when he should or do if he doesn't want to - he is always moaning about how bad things are for him etc etc - we have had one to one chats - the school head has spoken with him - nothing - i know that I am not reacting well to this - but try very hard to stay calm but don't always manage it (raised voice) - can anyone give me some idea of how I should progress with this student - thanks for taking the time to read this - Elke

Heads Up English

Post by Heads Up English » Thu May 28, 2009 1:32 am

I'll be honest. You most likely won't reach this student, no matter how much time you spend with him. Even worse, you'll very likely sacrifice time from the other students in the class who do want to learn. Because of this man's immature behavior, time taken away from other students will negatively affect their hopes and dreams which come with English.

You may want to either ignore him completely or strike a deal with him. With regards to the latter, talk with him one on one and explain the following:

1: If he sits in the back, keeps quiet, and no longer disrupts the class, then you'll pass him with the minimum mark.

2: If he participates and tries, then you'll give him better than the minimum.

3: If he continues to be disruptive, you'll fail him.

Like all good teachers, it sounds as though you feel responsible for the success of everyone who attends. That's great, but it's also unrealistic. You can't be 100% responsible for other people's learning. It's an equal partnership between you and the students. Each person has to want to learn, try, and take risks in order to master something as difficult as English.

Good luck.

Chris Cotter
Free flashcards at www.flashcardhub.com
Just print and teach materials at www.headsupenglish.com

Elke

Post by Elke » Thu May 28, 2009 3:41 am

Hi Chris - thanks for replying and your advice - I tried your suggestions before I posted - no joy - it seems it will probably be best to ignore him as much as i can - but I always find myself trying to give him a chance and then we are back to square one - I will try harder to stay positive and try not to feel guilty that he fails - I know this one will come back on me - the usual - its the teacher who is at fault - if I had a penny for the times I have heard that one - thanks once again Chris - Elke

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 pm

I spent most of my career with classrooms full of children or adults like this fellow. We have all heard how one teacher can make the difference in one person's life and turn them around. It is sometimes true but as Chris and you say not always possible. Watch "The Miracle Worker", the film about the ultimate difficult student, and then try some more tactics on yours.

He definitely needs counseling. Is that available through his company or the school?

Put a mirror on your desk or the wall nearby and see what your expression is when he comes in first thing for class. Can you make it a welcoming smile although it will be a false one at first?

Can you talk with him during break about other things than class and be interested in his hobbies?

Send him off for an errand and talk to the rest of the class about ideas to motivate him, both for his sake but theirs as well as he is dragging them down. Enlist their help to get someone to encourage and work with him.

Apologize to him whenever you raise your voice and admit that you are frustrated because you know he can do better but you realize that being angry with him doesn't help him learn.

Heap on the encouragement whenever he does do something right Emphasize the positive reasons that he is in your class and why he and you should enjoy the time right now. He is getting out of work, he is with such nice people, he is doing what his bosses want, he stretching his brain, he has a chance to help other people. I know this is stretching it and at first it is all false but being nice can grow on you and him and meanwhile the class is having a lesson in dealing with difficult people - invaluable in the workforce. There are many sites on Google about dealing with difficult co-workers and you could use some of those for readings in the class. Then everyone can try out the ideas with your student and see if they work. You can make it plain or just subliminal according to your situation. I have found that the other adults in the class make it pretty plain and at first it seems strange to talk about it so openly but when someone knows that enough people care to try it often has quite an effect on them.

Try to put it in the problem bin of things that are difficult but not impossible like getting students to use the right tense of verb. What creative things can you do to overcome the problem?

Think about the reasons that he bugs you too. Is there some personal button that he pushes from your past? Is it always this type of student that takes your attention. If this is a pattern over a number of classes are you willing to look deeper to see why?

The latest thing in pop psychology is making a vision board of what you see for this student for his future. You could do it for him or with him - detailing exactly what you see that he could be like or learn in the time you have left with pictures or words or photos.

You can hang a hook outside of the door of your own house and every night when you go inside, hang his image there so it won't bother the rest of your life. You can pick it up in the morning if you want to deal with him or leave him there hanging on the hook.

For the sake of your reputation, document precisely every interview, every extra thing you did for him including time and date. Keep a copy of all his work and your notes of encouragement and get letters from the other students documenting the time you took with him. Copies of his work and tapes of his speaking abilities should be enough to show the boss that he didn't give it his best but you did. Include the time on this forum as consultation with "experts" or at least experienced teachers.

stephen

If he sent by the company, maybe they can sought him out.

Post by stephen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:01 pm

If his company are sending him, maybe they can sought him out. It depends on the company, of course. If it's in house, maybe it would be a good idea to have a chat with personnel. I don't know if he is in a class with other students from outside his company or with students from his company. However, I always find that in company classes work better if I can be on board and meet the personnel people before it starts. Then have them pass down their expectations to the students. If you do this make sure you get the all clear from your management first. Business students need to hear the right thing from personnel to take classes seriously sometimes. I realise it may have gone a bit past that now, but it is something to consider in the future.

I have to say the other advice is excellent. This kind of difficult student may blame you for failing, so you should definately document everything you do with them. Also, Sally has some excellent advice, and I will definately be on the look out for this film for whenever I get a student like this again myself.

Finally, don't let it get you down. If a 55 year old can't motivate him/herself to work, then they obviously have problems. It is not like teaching children where it is your job to make them work; he/she is supposed to be an adult. Choose the things you can make progress on, and concentrate on them. Also, remember that some things students sent by their company may have problems with (especially finding time to do their homework if they have a demanding job.) However, behaving in an appropriate way in the classroom is not one of these things.

Good luck!