Language Learning Strategy Training

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

M.Ordonez

Language Learning Strategy Training

Post by M.Ordonez » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:02 pm

I am starting a project with some of our experienced English teachers on Language Learning strategies. We have detected that our students simply do not have any effective learning strategies that they can apply to learning English. Their idea of studying english is reading grammar rules. That is learning about the language rather than learning the language. We have looked at several inventories of learning strategies and have selected some appropriate strategies for each of the four skills after applying a questionaire to students and teachers as to the strategies they use. We found that our text books contain strategies but some how we do not make this teaching of strategies DIRECT so students simply go through the exercises. They are not aware of the strategies so they don't transfer them.
We are now creating training sessions fro the rest of the staff that presents a model for strategy training with the EFL class. Does anyone out there have any experience in such models? have you tried anything like this? HELP! :?

adi

Learning How to Learn (LHTL)

Post by adi » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:47 pm

Hi there. 6 years ago I was selected by the State Education Department to carry out a LHTL course for teachers. It was a disaster from day 1. The modules for trainers which were prepared by the Curriculum Division, Ministry of Education were destroyed in a fire so what my fellow trainers and I received were copies of selected pages on learning strategies from various books. And we were supposed to digest those "raw" modules in a few days and conduct a 4 day course for the teachers. Anyhow, we did our best but apparently it wasn't good enough. And the participants.. Most of them were angry to be there and they looked upon LHTL as a total waste of their time because most of the things covered were something that teachers tend to do anyway e.g. goal setting etc. It was simply horrible. But I must say that we deserved the blame for not making things easy for them -- but how could we when there were no proper modules in the first place. I still keep all those stuffs anyway so if you have any specific question concerning the content of the module, then feel free to contact me. Btw, according to other trainers from other divisions and states, LHTL was a failed programme. We failed to change the teachers' mindset. But from your description, it appears that you have supportive and cooperative teachers so to me that's one battle won. You just need to put together some sort of module and then decide whether the teachers should incorporate the teaching of LHTL in their English class along with the normal syllabus or to allot a special time/period for the teaching of LHTL. With hindsight, I would suggest that the teachers are given the first 2-3 weeks at the beginning of the term to teach the students group dynamics and LHTL skills. I think it would be easier for the teachers and for the students that way.

corey

Post by corey » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi,

There is a good book by H. Douglas Brown on strategies for learners. The publisher is Pearson. I believe the name is "Classroom Strategies" but I'm not sure.

Good luck,

Corey