Implementing ESL/Bilingual Instruction in the classroom

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jen

Implementing ESL/Bilingual Instruction in the classroom

Post by Jen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:03 pm

Hello everyone! As a college student who doesn't have much experience in the public school classroom, I was just curious about how you include ESL/Bilingual instruction in your classroom. I used to work at a preschool in Tyler, TX that taught Spanish during the school year. The Spanish teacher would come in twice a week for about 30 minutes and work with the students to learn colors and vocabulary. However most of the students in the school were English speaking, so this wasn't an ESL class. We also had everything labeled in our rooms because we worked with 3 and 4 year olds. Some things we had labeled in English and Spanish, which were helpful when we had ESL students, but what are ways that you have experienced either through your own classroom or observing another that deals with ESL instruction? Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from you.
Jennifer